Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.65971%

Gretsch Progressive Jazz Snare Drum

I'm in the process of finalizing a purchase for a Gretsch Progressive Jazz/Max Roach Snare. This will more than likely be my final transaction before I go into "hibernation" for the winter unless I decide to "move" one of my vintage kits before then.

I was looking for something a little "unique" to add to my personal snare drum collection when I happened to spot this one. I've used the word unique simply because I haven't seen too many of these being offered locally or on eBay, craigslist or any of the forums I frequent. The few times I did see one, the asking price was extremely prohibitive, at least for my budget.

What I'm trying to find out is how many of you out there happen to have one of these in your personal snare collections and whether this particular model is, indeed, considered somewhat of a rare find.

Any and all additional information that you might be able to provide regarding this particular model would also be greatly appreciated for cataloging purposes. I'll post some pics of the one I'm purchasing once I physically receive the drum.

As usual, thanks in advance for your time and your help!Bowing

Posted on 14 years ago

Well there's a few versions of the drum to be aware of.

The first is the original, with tube lugs, stick chopper hoops, and the "Max Roach Model" metal plate. These are the most rare version, and generally command more money than later ones.

Next is the three ply version with stick chopper hoops, regular Gretsch lugs, and no metal plate. I still consider this version to be a Max Roach model because it was cataloged as such until the end of the 50's.

Last is the 6 ply version with die cast hoops, which I consider to be a Progressive Jazz model. These are the most common.

Note that during the transition from 3 ply to 6 ply, you may find any combination of stick choppers or die cast, and single point or 4 point butt. There also tends to be a small variation in depth from 4 to 4 1/2 inches in these drums.

In my experience most are a challenge to get to sound good. The wires need to be in good shape, as does the Microsensitive strainer, and it only really works correctly with plastic strands rather than string. The originals, believe it or not, came with tape strands, not string. I've only had one that truly sounds great, and has a snare mechanism that works perfectly in terms of turning completely on and off.

But whether or not they sound good or function well, they are one of the coolest looking snare drums out there!

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 14 years ago

mlvibes:

I appreciate the input!

Any idea what might be considered a "fair market value" for each of the three versions of the drum?

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here