Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Gretsch Problems

I purchased a white marine pearl round-badge Gretsch kit about 10 years ago and I've recently decided to get serious about my drumset playing. Problem is, I've been out-of-state at school for the last 5 years and the kit has been sitting in my bedroom...Now that I know what it should sound like, I'm realizing it sounds terrible. I found this out when I decided to change the heads. I had pinstripes on, but I was changing to G1's. I'm having a hard time getting the heads on and off the shells and the drums sound thumpy and dead. Is this a common problem for Gretsch, and is there something I can do about it?

If there's no fix I may just sell the kit to a collector. I have all the original hardware, my kit looks like it had a 12" added to it, but it still has the original cymbal mount. My snare has the micro-sensitive throw and is an 8-lug model. Problem with the snare is the throw arm is broken off. Research has shown me that this is pretty typical since there are so many places you can find replicas.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

AJ

Posted on 18 years ago

Tight, or non fitting heads are the most common problem with Gretsch round badge drums...their pearl covering is very thick. I think the tightness was done on purpose...their original (made by remo) heads were called "permatones"...you were only supposed to tune them once and they'd stay in tune! Before forcing anything, try the Amereican Vintage model heads from Aquarian. They're a bit oversized...made to fit on older shells. (I think the model is called American Vintage...check with their web site.) I've ordered them from Interstate music and they usually had them in stock. The, if you still don't like the drums, sell them. People swear by them.

Posted on 18 years ago

Thanks for the advice Rich, I ordered a set of Aquarian vintage American for my snare today. Luckily the local music dealer refunded my money for the 3 Evans heads I had purchased a couple days ago! As I can't afford the whole set of Aquarians right now, I'm happy with just buying these and checking the fit/sound of the heads once they come in.

I'm going to put pictures as soon as I take them with my digital... I see that a lot of people are concerned with appraisal so maybe I would take advantage of that as well. When the heads didn't fit that was my second thought; sell it and get a newer kit. Hopefully this works out! Thanks a bunch.

AJ

Posted on 18 years ago

Here's the pictures of my kit. I had to do it the roundabout way...I made a website page since the pictures were too large. I actually have all the original hardware as well: cymbal mount, snare stand, cracked lining for the Bass Drum hoops, all the old heads, and the 32 (I think it's 32) extra-wide snare bed.

Let me know what you think. I'm still in the cleaning process so the 16 doesn't have a head on and the BD is a little dirty.

1 attachments
Posted on 18 years ago

Looks like a very nice set. My guess is that the Aquarians will solve the fit problem. That pearl is in remarkably nice white condition. Have fun with them.

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here