Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Gretsch floor tom to bass conversion

Hi, I recently got a good deal on a set of early 70s gretsch floor toms. A 16 and 14. I planned on looking for a 12 and 20 to complete this kit, but Im now thinking of a different plan. Id like to convert the 16 x 16 into a 16 x 14 bass drum. Has anybody done anything lie this before? Id like to do it up right, cut down two inches off the length, re cut the bearing edges as these are round over and other gretsch bass edges are dif then the floor edges. Get the wood hoops, claws and rods, and a riser. Any advice on who could cut it down and do the edges? Anybody done this before? Would there be that much of difference if i just kept it as is, on a riser, or should i go all out doin it up? Am i goin to be plugging a bunch of holes, or is there a way to use the existing holes and drilling 1 above it? Is this a dumb idea? Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks

Keith

Posted on 11 years ago

I would not cut or alter that drum. You can get special legs that fit in two of the leg mounts that will position the drum for use as a kick. I think you will need a riser too.

Posted on 11 years ago

I think you`ll be disapponted in the 16, HH combo,...just don`t work well !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 11 years ago

Maybe I keep it as is then, or do it without any mods. Thanks for the help

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here