Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Gretsch FA bass drum pedal-need help & parts-have no idea what it is???

Bought a Gretsch FA BD pedal in parts and I'm attempting to put it back together. Anyone want to have a go at suggestions for a novice? Firstly, before I post on "wanted to buy," what is the name of the threaded shaft and nut that holds the pedal spring? The one in the pic is stripped and might be missing parts...secondly, I can't seem to get the beater assembly to sit "right" on the pedal axle. If I put the beater on, it faces down on a weird angle instead of leaning back towards the shin until the pedal pushes it to the head...

First time with this pedal and, clueless as usual.

Maybe there's a tutorial somewhere on here I can't find. Appreciate any help. Dean

2 attachments
Posted on 4 years ago

This pedal is identical to the Camco Pedal in every way except the logo on the foot board. I have been restoring my Camco and I am down to tracking down original thumb screws (Yes, I am too OCD about this).

The long threaded screw that holds the spring is referred to as the "Spring Screw" and the "Spring Lock Nut" at the bottom adjusts the tension.

It looks as if a previous owner has disassembled this pedal before. The "Beater Hub Casting" (that holds the Beater) is mounted backwards. I think you will have to remove the "Hex Shaft Assembly" to do this.

On a side note, many do not realize that one of the forgotten features of this type pedal is that by spinning the beater through the "Base Casting" frame, the entire pedal could be rendered flat for storage.

Go to Drumarchive.com and there is a detail breakdown of all the parts in every Oaklawn Camco catalog.

Kurt

PS: My Spring Screw was stripped by I was able to get it re-threaded at a friendly small hardware store. I also added a small nut on the other side of the Spring Screw to lock the tension.

1974-75 Rogers Starlighter IV New England White 13/16/22 (w/Dyna)
1964-67 Rogers Blue Glass Glitter 12/14/16/20
early Oaklawn Camco Blue Moire 12/14/20
1926 Super Ludwig 5x14
1960-ish Ludwig COB 5x14 Super Sensitive
1960-ish Ludwig COB 6.5x14 Super Sensitive
1970 Ludwig COB Cut-Badge 5x14 Supra Phonic

Looking for a Camco Aristocrat SD in Blue Moire!!
Posted on 4 years ago

kdg, that info really helped me. I had no idea the beater hub casting is on backwards-no wonder I couldn't figure it out. That said, any idea how to remove the hub casting? I removed the nut on the non-spring side of the hub and I can't move it. OR, is there somewhere I can read up on how to remove the hub casting? The drumarchive info is cool. I can at least have a reference for the part names when I come across this pedal in a future project. I didn't realize Camco made Gretsch BD pedals.

Posted on 4 years ago

Deansdrums59,

Unfortunately, the nut on the non-spring side of my Camco won't budge, so I have not been able to get it off. So I really can't help you there. Hopefully, someone who has totally disassembled a pedal like this will chime in. Best of Luck!!

Kurt

1974-75 Rogers Starlighter IV New England White 13/16/22 (w/Dyna)
1964-67 Rogers Blue Glass Glitter 12/14/16/20
early Oaklawn Camco Blue Moire 12/14/20
1926 Super Ludwig 5x14
1960-ish Ludwig COB 5x14 Super Sensitive
1960-ish Ludwig COB 6.5x14 Super Sensitive
1970 Ludwig COB Cut-Badge 5x14 Supra Phonic

Looking for a Camco Aristocrat SD in Blue Moire!!
Posted on 4 years ago

Appreciate the feedback nonetheless. I'll move this info over to the restoration thread and see who can chime in. Many thanks kdg!

Posted on 4 years ago
Action Another action Something else here