Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.45929%

Gretsch Era Slingerland Lite ID

Hello. I'm a little mystified as to how to tell whether late '80's-early '90's Slings. were from the "Lite," "Spirit," or "Artist Custom" Series.

The Lites were US made and the others were assembled in Korea or Taiwan from American parts. Did ALL the Lites have the gold Ridgeland, S.C., USA badge, or did some slip through with the more common generic black/silver badges?

Also, according to Rob Cook, only the Lites had 6-ply shells with no rings, and the other series were either 5-ply or 9-ply.

I'm assuming the Spirit and Artist Custom series shells also had no rings.

I'd really appreciate it if somebody could clear this up for me. Thanks!!

--Dave Anderson.

Posted on 16 years ago

The late 80s - 1992 Slingerland lites were All Maple (6 Ply 6mm toms) (I will have to check again but I think mine have 6ply 7mm ?might be 7ply floor and bass drum) and have the Black on Brass badges Ridgeland SC, no reinforcement rings, painted shells.

They sound incredible ultra thin shells and a cross laminated so mine have held there shape for nearly 20 years. You will see what appears to be five plies alternating from Light to dark to light to dark light and they might measure at 5.5mm-6mm. I had to ditch the S tom mount hardware.

Any Five ply spirit plus shells with the black/silver badges and wrapped shells would be thick asian mahogany (Dark in color).

I never saw a Artist series I think they were later than when I bought my kit.

hope this answers your questions.

See my last posting on spirit kits for photos of my badge

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=1530&highlight=spirit

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here