Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Gretsch Drum/Aquarian American Vintage heads question

I recently bought a great Gretsch Snare drum that needs heads. I ordered Aquarian "American Vintage " heads (Medium weight batter), but I was sent the Modern Vintage batter head instead.

My question is what weight is equivalent to a Remo Ambassador head. Should I get the thin weight or the Medium weight?

(I was sent a Medium weight Modern Vintage head, but it seemed too thick, more like an Emperor.)

For the record, I have already tried a Remo Ambassador and it doesn't fit, that's why I am going with the slightly oversized American Vintage Model.

P.S.

I thought I had posted this, but apparently not...sorry if I already posted it somewhere else on this forum. Someone PM if so!

http://www.pkdrums.net
Posted on 17 years ago

I've been using Aquarian American Vintage heads for about 7 years. The Thin and Medium weight heads are both 1 ply as are Remo Diplomats and Ambassadors. The coating that is used on the Am. Vintage heads is thicker and thus heavier than other modern style coatings. So a "medium" American Vintage head ends up being more of a Medium-Heavy (though still 1 ply). The idea is to replicate the sound of the calf heads that originally came on the drums. The coating usually wears fairly quickly and after about a dozen hours of playing time, you're left with a smoother (more calf-like) surface that is a bit thinner than it was out of the box yet still very responsive to brushes. I have a 5.5"X14 snare and I personally prefer the Medium weight for the batter side, as I have found the Thin weight to be less durable. I do use the Thin wieght heads on the snare side though. If you are lucky enough to have a 4"X14" pregressive jazz/Max Roach model, I would probably use Thin heads top and bottom. Hope this helps!

-Chris

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here