Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Gretsch Drum Mute - Dial Crimp

Has anyone else (besides the forum member that passed this info on to me) run into problems when changing out an internal mute used on vintage Gretsch drums?

I didn't know about the "crimp" on the dial part and when I bought some replacement mutes on eBay I took the old ones off the drum & put the new (eBay bought) ones back on. I just threaded the dial back into the little barrel-thingie on the internal mute hardware not thinking there was a part of the dial intentionally messed up by Gretsch to prevent you from taking the dial out of this barrel-thingie without using a die tool to rethread the dial. I mean who thinks of these things?

Now I guess, because I did not know about this little crimp/cut thread part, all my internal mutes are likely ruined. I only found this out when my snare drum mute was sticking and I took it apart only to find lots of brass shaving in my snare drum when this barrel-like unit was stripping out. It was broken by the time I took it out (the barrel unit totally stripped of its threads).

It's not that big of a deal.....maybe about $300-$400 to replace all the mutes. But the replacement mutes are likely to be well on their way to be stripped out before I buy them because most people probably don't know about that little fact (the crimp on the dial).

I may just leave the dials on that I have - as ornaments....only replace them if I absolutley have to.

The photos below were graciousley supplied by a forum member & shows the "crimp" and how to properly remove the dial...........

Posted on 13 years ago

Thats strange. I have a set from the mid 60's and none of mine have the crimp

1964 Gold Sparkle Round badge 20,12,14
1970 SS Badge, Blue Satin Flame 22,13,16
1962 Tangerine sparkle, Gretsch. 18, 12,14, 5x14
1960's/70's Slingerland 18,12,14 silver sparkle
194? Slingerland "Rolling Bomber" Blue/white Duco 28,13,14,7x14
1940's Radio Kings. 26,13,16 WMP finish
Gretsch Anniversary sparkle 22,13,16, 5.5x14
Posted on 13 years ago

I guess part of my rant is - crimp or no crimp - steel dial against BRASS barrel-thingie does not mix well when under a little tension if you know what I mean. I've had three strip out now.

Wow -again! 1964 Gold Sparkle! Same sizes as my 58's - NICE!

From Drums008

Thats strange. I have a set from the mid 60's and none of mine have the crimp

Posted on 13 years ago

I know for a fact that when you order a NEW muffler from Gretsch that they are NOT crimped. They come partially assembled, and they know they have to be fully assembled into the drum first before crimping the end, so they are not crimped. They leave that up to the owner to do. BTW, the new replacement mufflers are still exactly the same as they have been since the 1960's......

Posted on 13 years ago

Is there a crimp mark 180 degrees of the one shown?

If so maybe plier marks?

Joe

“I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”
Posted on 13 years ago

No crimps on any of the mufflers on either of my early 70's kits. Also, the tension-nut (barrel-thingie) doesn't appear to be brass, but it is non-ferrous. Weird problem to have stripped them out (sounds a lot like my typical luck).

Vintage Drum Fan (Not a Guru)
Posted on 13 years ago

I just got an email from Paul Cooper at Gretsch and he is going to send me some new mufflers.....wow! Great service - very nice of him to do that. He says the new ones have steel barrel-thingies.

So.........I will be installing new ones mutes. I will leave instruction with my family on how to search and where to look for 50's Gretsch internal drum mufflers. Because - in the future when I'm gone from the planet and they want to sell off all my drum stuff.....the person(s) that buy my drums may want to have 50's era mufflers on these drums........for some reason.

Posted on 13 years ago

All of them on my '53 kit have the crimp and brass barrels, but none of the barrels are stripped? Not sure why not, since I've run the knobs in and out many times over the years. Also, it's not much of a crimp; more like a notch cut into the threads with what looks to be a hack saw blade.

Greg

1953 Gretsch 22/13/16/6X14 "Name Band"
2001 Gretsch 22/10/12/14 "Catalina Elite"
2011 Gretsch 18/12/14 "Catalina Club Jazz"
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here