Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Gretsch Die-cast Rims

Anyone out there know of a successful method of removing scrapes, scratches and scuffs from a Gretsch Die-Cast rim?

Also looking for an affective polishing product to use once the aforementioned cosmetic issues are resolved.

Any and all suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Posted on 14 years ago

I use 0000 steel wool. Nothing will take deep scrapes and bruises out except a full re-surfacing and then rechroming.

-64 Ludwig Black Oyster Classic kit 22,13,16
-65 Leedy BDP 22,13,16
-65 Ludwig WMP Clubdate 20,12,14
-66 Ludwig Red sparkle Downbeat
-60's Gretsch RB Green Glass 22,13,16
Lots of cymbals, snares and orphans, old and newish
Posted on 14 years ago

I use Turtle wax Rubbing compound and a soft solid cloth. Something like a thick, tightly woven sock and lots of pressure and patience. It will take some of them out without taking the shine off the chrome. Steel wool kills the sheen. When you use rubbing compound, it takes longer, but it polishes the chrome, not dulling it. It is a micro abrassive and that is what takes oxidation and surface scratches out of paint and brings back the shine. As O-D states, deeper scratches don't go away, but they can be diminished with a good polishing compound and maybe even a small buffing wheel on your Dremel tool with the compound will make quicker work of the chrome, kind of like my use of the detailing brush, except it is more serious for this type of work. The detailing brush is great for the general cleaning and polishing. For the tedious and finer work are attempting, a buffer wheel and compound on the Dremel is the prescribed method I use.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here