Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Gretsch COB snare 4165 question...funky snare beds

Hello there. I recently acquired a Gretsch 4165 (yes the reare 10 lugger) COB shell with stop sign badge. All lugs and butt piece present and intact but missing the lightning throw off.

I didn't notice til I got it home that there appears to be a snare bed crimped into the shell. I can get Remo and Evans heads on with a struggle, but Aquarian Classic Clear Snare Side will not fit at all. Even when I do get the Remo or Evans on, I'm left with pretty nasty wrinkles around the bed. The "Bed" actually bumps out the diameter of the shell a bit.

This is the first 4165 I've had. I had a 4160 a few years ago, but never noticed this type of problem. Does anyone know if the crimping is stock or a botched mod attempt by some owner? I checked for tool marks, but don't really see any. If anyone has any input, I would be greatly appreciative. This was going to be my workhorse drum and is in player's condition anyway, but I'm hesitating to flatten out the "bed" if it's a stock feature. Thanks for the help in advance!

Posted on 16 years ago

From gretsch292

Hello there. I recently acquired a Gretsch 4165 (yes the reare 10 lugger) COB shell with stop sign badge. All lugs and butt piece present and intact but missing the lightning throw off. I didn't notice til I got it home that there appears to be a snare bed crimped into the shell. I can get Remo and Evans heads on with a struggle, but Aquarian Classic Clear Snare Side will not fit at all. Even when I do get the Remo or Evans on, I'm left with pretty nasty wrinkles around the bed. The "Bed" actually bumps out the diameter of the shell a bit.This is the first 4165 I've had. I had a 4160 a few years ago, but never noticed this type of problem. Does anyone know if the crimping is stock or a botched mod attempt by some owner? I checked for tool marks, but don't really see any. If anyone has any input, I would be greatly appreciative. This was going to be my workhorse drum and is in player's condition anyway, but I'm hesitating to flatten out the "bed" if it's a stock feature. Thanks for the help in advance!

Day late and a dollar short, but hey... better late than pregnant.

My #4160 has the same beds, same problem. I had to cut the old head off with a friggen hack saw. Put a Hazy 300 on with similar results but I can still get that one off. Serious bowing out (oval) shaped at the beds, but it's gotta be stock. They are both just too perfect looking and no machine marks at all.

It tuned up just fine, yes it has wrinkles, but so does my sack.

Posted on 14 years ago

My 70's 8 lug COS was the same.I think I used a Ludwig snare side head.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here