Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

Gretsch Authenticity Question

I picked up a Progressive Jazz Outfit in WMP, and the 20” and 14” have paper tags, but the 12” and snare do not. I have a few questions. All the shells have the silver sealer, and, as far as I can tell the edges are factory, but, without the tag, is there a way to prove the shells are Gretsch? I mean the wrap has faded, is lifting at the seams, the shells look old, and—most importantly—they sound like 60s 6-ply Gretsch drums!!! But is there a sure fire way to discern?

Also, the snare is an 8-lug 5.5x14 with the Microsensitive throw, but no snap-in key holder. I have never seen an 8-lug without the key holder! Can anyone help me understand what this is?

Finally, do any of the published Gretsch books answer my questions, or are those more for the history?

Posted on 1 year ago

Is it Round Head screws in the drums in question; If so that's in the Positive Gretsch ledger column

.................................................. ......Joe
Posted on 1 year ago

Yes, all round head screws, but I've never seen a 5.5x14 snare without the key holder

Posted on 1 year ago

Those tags sometimes fell off. The important thing is, do you like them? Just play and enjoy them.

'23 DW Collector's, Black Galaxy: 13/16/18/22/14 sn.
'01 DW Collector's, Oyster White: 8/10/12/14/16/22.
'24 DW Performance, Gold Sparkle, 12/14/20.
'59-ish Slingerland Pink Sparkle, 13/16/22.

'72 Slingerland Red Tiger Pearl: 12/13/16/16/22.
'70ish Slingerland Merlot Sparkle rewrap: 13/16/24.

'68ish Slingerland rewrap: 13/16/22.

'69 Rogers Holiday, Red Onyx: 13/16/24
'67 Ludwig Burgundy Sparkle: 12/13/16/22.
'70-ish Ludwig Std, Burgundy Oyster: 13/16/22.
'69-ish MIJ Drum Mate: Peacock Pearl: 13/16/22.
'67-ish MIJ Crown, Red Sparkle, 12/13/16/22.

'67-ish,. MIJ Drum Mate, Blue Oyster, 12/13/16/22.

Posted on 1 year ago

diversion;

any sign the throw isn't original Poet

.................................................. ......Joe
Posted on 1 year ago

Nope. No extra holes. Wrap seems original. Shell and sealer look aged. I mean nothing on the 12" seems odd but the lack of tag (though I know this is normal); it sounds just like my old rb tom and many others I've heard. The snare throws me for a loop because I have never seen the Micro throw and no snap in key holder. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Posted on 1 year ago

From what I'm recalling, there are many many Gretsch snares with the Micro and no snap in key holder. The Micro started back in the 50's. Progressive Jazz started in the 50's, the Snap in Key holder started around '61, but was not installed on all snares even after '61.

Posted on 1 year ago

What are the serial numbers on the other drums that have tags? Are they low numbers, which might indicate they could have been paired with a drum without a tag in the early 60s?

I would also look for similar ply makeup and bearing edges.

Collecting information about the following for ongoing research projects:
Gretsch drums with serial numbers,
Ludwig Keystone and B/O badge drums with serial numbers and date stamps,
Ludwig Standards from 1968-73, and
Ludwigs with paper labels from 1971-72
www.GretschDrumDatingGuide.com
Posted on 1 year ago
Action Another action Something else here