Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Gretsch 60's chrome snare

Hello,

This is my first post here in the vintage drum forum. I have a 60's Gretsch chrome snare that I'd like to know the value of. Here are the specs:

1. metal shell

2. chrome over brass or steel?

3. Gretsch round badge with grommet

4. 5 1/2" x 14"

5. steel? interior

6. 8 lugs diecast rims

7. snare strainer type unknown

8. some pitting on the hardware and scuffs on the chrome from normal use

To see pics go to my personal website:

http://members.cox.net/chsedrumz

Thanks for your help.

Posted on 17 years ago

A Gretsch expert can probably give you a closer date, but that's a late '60s (69?)chrome over brass 5 x 14" with the first version "Lightning" throw-off...soon after that throw-off was introduced, the badge was changed to the stop sign badge, so your drum is not as common as the version with the micro-sensitive throw-off and round badge or lightning with the stop sign badge.

I think those are underated, great sounding drums. My guess, depending on condition, would be $200-325.

Posted on 17 years ago

This Gretsch snare defines "Heavy Metal" for the weight alone - although full and warm, it's still not as loud and ringy as the Ludwig Supraphonic 10-Lug.

After playing with this drum for a little while, you can see why Gretsch moved the throw-off pivot to the center of the mechanism on later SS badge models. This model throw-off is quite apt to pop loose while playing due to the side-to-side "slop" in the way the parts are linked together, combined with the off-set lever.

I prefer the surity of the older side-to-side baseball bat throw-offs.

For this reason alone these snare drums are not hugely sought after in the market, I'd say $375 is all the money, at least for today. But way the Gretsch market is being driven by collectors worldwide - some with dozens of kits, that don't get played - but that may climb by 50% in 3-5 years.

Added 1/28/07: A better-than-new "looking" one just sold on ebay for $325.

Walking

Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks for the info. guys!

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here