Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Gretsch 4166 snare

I just acquired a Gretsch 4166 COB snare in good shape. Can anyone tell me anything about when this drum might have been manufactured and approximate value in VG condition?

Details:

- All original parts/no mods

- Some light pitting on shell

- COB shell

- Stop-sign badge

- Original small tag inside ("TGGS!" / "4166")

- Die-cast rims

- Lightning throwoff

- 6" x 14" (or 6 1/2"?)

- 20 single-tension lugs

- Top muffler (double-pad)

- Original snares

Thanks,

Charles

Gretsch late-'60s Progressive Jazz MBP 20-12-14
Gretsch Black Nitron 2008 USAC 20-12-14
U.S. Mercury (Star) '60s Blue Sparkle 20-12-14 + 14sn
'66 Ludwig 5x14 Supraphonic
'60s Ludwig 5x14 Acrolite
'70s Ludwig 402
'50s WFL 6.5x14 Supreme Concert
'70s Slingerland 5x14 140 (alum)
'60s Gretsch RB 4103 BDP
'70s Gretsch SSB 5x14 4108 (alum)
'00s Gretsch USA bronze 6.5
Posted on 18 years ago

Mid 70's to the 80's they made that snare. Stop Sign Badges had a variety of stages and here is an email (below) that Gretsch sends out that a forum member sent me. In regards to value my guess is $200 to $325. Without seeing and knowing the exact condition.

BADGE #2 1972 to 1979

The next badge design for Gretsch was an octagon shaped badge. This brass badge had the GRETSCH logo written in block type with an elongated letter ?T ?in the middle of the Gretsch name. One the right side of the brass grommet the word DRUMS appears in block letters. To the left the initials U.S.A. appear in block letters. The bottom section of the badge reads ?THAT GREAT GRETSCH SOUND?. Final production of Gretsch Drums with this badge was in mid 1979. This is the only badge to carry the infamous ?Great Gretsch Sound? tag line.

BADGE # 3 1979 to 1980

The second version of the octagon badge went into production in late 1979. This badge is very similar to the previous badge but the tag line on the bottom was changed back to ?DRUM MAKERS SINCE 1883? in block letters.

BADGE # 4 1980

A brief glimpse into the modern day drum badge.

In 1980, due to the popularity of multiple ?tom outfits, the badge was changed to a square shape with the corners cropped. This would allow the badge to look the same no matter which way the tom was mounted. The brass badge had the GRETSCH logo in block letters above the grommet. The GRETSCH logo below the grommet was placed upside down to allow for the varied positioning of the toms. U.S.A. was on the left and right side of the grommet with the left U.S.A. letters upside down. This badge would be used in 1980 and the shelved for a brief period of time before it was brought back into production.

BADGE # 5 Early 1981

A short return to the octagon badge.

This time the brass badge was redesigned with the GRETSCH logo in the drop ?G? font above the grommet. U.S.A. appeared to the right of the grommet and DRUM MAKERS SINCE 1983 was at the bottom of this badge in block letters.

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here