Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Gretsch 4103 SN 76967

Hello,

I have a Gretsch Snare Model 4103 that I have had since 1984. I used it in my school band for about 3 years and since then it has sat dormant. I am curious to find out about it and if it is worth it I might part with it. The tape on the head was a feeble attempt of a 14 year old to replace the damper that i never saw because the band director did not like the ring it produced. There is one crack in the laminant next to the snare tensioner and the end of the laminant has come apart from the drum. Please let me know what i have. I have pictures but they might be too big.

Thanks,

David

Posted on 16 years ago

Sounds like a mid 60's Gretsch Renown snare. With the cracked wrap, probably a $150 to $200 drum. Really depends on what finish it is, and the overall condition. Let's see pics!

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 16 years ago

Here are some Pictures...

David

Posted on 16 years ago

Here is the underneath...

David

1 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

That's a beauty! How bad is the crack? The finish is called Midnight Blue Pearl, and yours has maintained it's original blue color. The original Gretsch case, snare wires, and stand really add to the overall value, so I'd suspect on ebay you'd get closer to the $250 to $350 range, especially if you opened it up to International bidders.

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 16 years ago

Is that a crack in the wrap, or just the seam coming loose?

(That's a real common problem with Gretsch drums, but a simple fix.)

Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks.

Both... The crack is at the snare tensioner on the top right screw and the seam is coming apart...

David

Posted on 16 years ago

Thank you for the help. I think I am going to go for a new Wii or a beginner set for my kids. Do you all have a vote or an inexpensive suggestion on the set?

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here