Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

Gretsch 1960s Snare value

Hi all, this is my first time posting. I was inspired today to find out how much my old snare is actually worth, the only value i've heard was as 300$ offer from a guy at the drum shop i went to to buy new parts to resore it. It is a 1960s, Gretsch snare, 8 lug, 4x14", with a maroon sparkle finish, the throw off lever is broken however which other than that it is in good condition. I really have no idea how much it would be worth, although i've seen pictures of similar drums online for prices up to 1500$. of course i know that the broken lever would detract from the price, nevertheless i'm interested in knowing what you all think.

1 attachments
Posted on 18 years ago

So, it is a 4" x14"? Can you verify that. It look deeper based on the picture.

That would make a world of difference on the value.

Please just double check with the head off, maybe I'm just seeing it on a funny angle.

David

Posted on 18 years ago

i remeasured it with the head off, it is 4"x14", your right the angle of the picture makes it seem alot deeper.

Posted on 18 years ago
Posted on 18 years ago

I'm having a hard time with the drum height on your drum. Based on the lugs etc. The distance from the badge and hoop. The height of the lug to the badge

I know you measured it! Please don't yell at me. Eye Ball

Here is a 4x14 Progressive Jazz Snare. Look at the smaller lugs and the size in relationship to the badge

[IMG]http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/images/snare_gretsch/gretsch_60_progressive_jazz_bp_large_thumb.jpg[/IMG]

So that is why I'm confused about the height. Maybe your pictures are just throwing me off mentally and I can't get over it.

If it truly is 4" then you have a Gretsch Progressive Jazz Snare with a micro sensitive strainer. It is a rarer finish and will need the proper cleaning and restoration. Replacement strainer arms are being made by Jim Petty and can be found online.

The finish is burgundy sparkle which was offered in the 60's.

We have a resident Gretsch expert that knows more about these drums and also a better handle on value.

My guess is between $800 and $1200 and more if two people have to have it on Ebay! Just a guess! Not an appraisal!

Hope that helps.

David

Posted on 18 years ago

for measurement? do you measure with the rims on from the top of the rims to the bottom of them, or from the top to bottom of the actual drum shell?

Posted on 18 years ago

Yes, the shell only without the rims.

David

Posted on 18 years ago

5 1/4" x 14" , you were right, sorry if i seemed like i was yelling before, i just wanted to make sure i had the correct measurement. guess the third times the charm. i wonder, does 1 1/4 inches make much difference?

Posted on 18 years ago

Well, it does in this case, since the 4 x 14 is worth more then the 5 1/2 x 14.

The 4 x 14 is a rarer snare drum and harder to find.

With that said your drum in that size and finish does not come around as much as other colors.

I would guess the value would then be $400 to $600, maybe $800 if two guys have to have the color.

Of course this is without handling the drum. From the picture I also noticed a washer missing from a lug and the screw going into the shell.

Little things like that make a difference if the shell is affected.

Find the strainer arm (original or new replacement) and clean it correctly and you have one nice collectable Gretsch Snare drum!

David

Posted on 18 years ago

"...the drum shop i went to to buy new parts to resore it..."

What parts did you need??? Don't mess with the drum! Original and repro arms for the throw-off are available...if do any modifications on the drum, you'll severely hurt the value of it...

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here