Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Gracy..not just another stencil

There is a thread in "ebay auctions" about Gretsch being ridiculously over-priced. This is happening to the MIJ market as well, and I am beginning to get an idea of why. There is much to it, and we can look at the reasons here. I have been doing some research and digging and thinking (that's a scary thing, in itself). There was another builder from the MIJ market. A builder, and this is what I am seeing happened. They never got the attention and marketing as the others because it seems they were the Rogers of the era, a boutique builder. I am almost certain they bought shells, rather than making them because the switch to thicker shells happened at the same time, and they disappeared around this time. There would be no reason for three builders using the same shells.

The prices for MIJ are silly. Some are like the Gretsch phenomenon. They bring unjustifiable prices. Sure, they might be in excellent cosmetic condition, and the colors and chrome may be as if they were in a closet or the original boxes for the past 30 or so years, but they are still only MIJ, and the ones I see that bring this stupid money are usually 9 ply shells. They don't sound good, but man, are they pretty! I can see if some, like the early Gracy 3 ply shells in immaculate condition go in the 500 or so range, but that is top dollar, and you are getting close to lower priced Ludwigs and Slingerlands at this point. Yes, they are "rare",(I hate that word in the drum world for the most part) but beyond that, they are still MIJ drums. These do sound good, as well as looking good, if properly treated.

I am talking about the regular old low end stuff. The Apollos, Stewarts, ZimGar and Majestics, and all the others. Many of the stencil "brands" used really inferior hardware and shells. The way the stencil market works is like this: the distributor chooses from a menu of parts and pieces, from the very cheapest, crappiest available, to the best and then designs the badge and everything else. The builders offered very cheap shells, and a few of the smaller distributors chose these in conjunction with the very lowest grade hardware and viola, they are in the drum bussiness. And there is good reason, but not to the extent I see. I mean, yes, some are really better built, and some of the hardware is reasonably good stuff. It just works.

I am talking about a different type of reasoning. There is the Gracy Drum Manufacturing Company, that is a totally seperate company, it is not a "stencil brand" I have found out. They were an actual producer, not Pearl or Star stencil name.

So, as such, the very early stuff, the 3 ply shells, really good hardware, comparatively, and good wraps of better quality than the other builders. And I think they actually bought the shells from others, because the construction is timeline-wise, the same as the others did, changing from 3 to 6 and 9 ply in 66-68. Anyway, it is happening, and I find it rather comical, in the MIJ market.

Now, to make my case for my reasoning on the perception of value to me, I will pay more, a little more, for 3 ply shells than for the others, they sound better. They are not as strong, and not as available, but I like them better, and all of the hardware I have come across has been of reasonable, funtional and decent quality. I know the lugs are lighter wieght and the chroming is not as heavy, all of those arguments, but I haven't run across any broken lugs, no parts that don't work because they are plain worn out. I realize they were not used for the road, and that type of hard work can wear out parts, but anyway....

Excited I still like my junk...it sounds good.

Edit: The point of Gracy being independent is evident on all the badges: Gracy Drum Manufacturing Company

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

That's a good point about MIJ drums getting expensive. Depends on the area I guess, but there are definitely asking prices out there that would compete with the lower end USA drums. I do like the finishes, funky wraps, etc. on these stencil kits, but, most of them are constructed the same other than hardware. I agree that the thinner ply drums should "fetch" a little more than say, 5, 6 or 9 plys because of their resonant capabilities.

I think I'll always own MIJ drums just because I think that the sound from the luan wood is very unique. I don't own any 3 plys, but I sure would love too!! I do own USA drums, which I think the sounds that come from these drums are just remarkable, but I think my Stewart kit will always be one of my favourite kits to play. Just my opinion.

I have heard of Gracy drums, but I do not know much about them. Thank you Jonni for enlightening myself and others regarding this brand. You've captured my curiosity about them. Hopefully, you'll post more info in the near future.

Cheers all.

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here