Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Gracy Drums

Hello all, first time poster here.

I recently had the good fortune of picking up a set of Gracy drums in very good condition. A search on this forum has revealed info on 3 ply kits with reinforcement rings. The kit I found is a 6 ply deal in a cool wrap, also, it has die-cast hoops and rather nice lugs and badges. Please see the attached pictures. Has anyone ever seen a kit like these before? I'm quite certain that the hoops are original because I doubt the original heads, which I have, have *ever* been removed. BTW, the sizes are:

14x20 kick

8x12 tom

14x14 tom

5x14 snare

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

3 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago

Hey. VERY nice, classy set there!! Wish I knew more about Gracy drums, but all I know is that they are British, but are of good quality. Hang on to them!

Posted on 12 years ago

Welcome to the forum!

I'm new to Gracy drums as well... but what you have looks like keepers for sure!

Bill

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 12 years ago

Actually they are made in Japan, a fact I should have mentioned in the original post. They are pretty decent for MIJ of that era though. I'm guessing very late '60s. Anyone ever see a 6 ply kit of Gracys before? I've done some web searching and I've found a catalog scan that seems to be of these:

(check out the burgundy kit in the catalog, the badge is the same but the FT legs are straight where mine aren't)

http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/my_collection_gracy_catalog.html

I wonder what their collectabillity might be? Anyone? Awesome forum BTW.

Posted on 12 years ago

Great kit.

Everything, from grommet to script logo, to (lacquered?) shell inside, shape of lugs, type of T-rods, says: these are drums made of superior quality.

Nice!

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 12 years ago

When I took off my lugs on My Green Oyster kit the wrapping (under the lugs) was that color blue!!!

Bass Player in the Band The New Suns https://www.facebook.com/TheNewSuns
I also into cheap drums MIJ,
Posted on 12 years ago

Believe it or not the wrap color is the same both around and under the lugs. The inside is lightly lacquered. At this point the only un-original parts are a couple of T-rods. Also, I believe that the kit originally came with a tool for the floor tom legs and bass drum legs. The bolts for this are not wingbolts but more like slightly bigger and shorter tension rods. (square heads) I don't have the tool and I had to change the square head bolts for hex bolts which work perfectly fine. I'll keep the old ones. BTW, the bolt thread is 5/16 18 which apparently is rare. I sure wish I could find out more about these but then again that might indicate their rarity. I really like them. Anyone know of any other resources that might help? Thanks again.

Posted on 12 years ago

The MIJ stuff is outlined here in this forum and i doubt you will find anything else about them. There is a cloak of mystery surrounding these drums. Some are well made,some are very poorly made,but they all belong to the MIJ category. Oddly,new and strange names are popping up often. We dont know where it will end . Your kit is nice but not worth a lot of money. You would do well to play them and enjoy them for what they are,but when and if you sell remember you,re not dealing a Gretsch kit here...far from it.Cool1

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 12 years ago

Yeah, I know they're not worth that much but it's cool to have something unique no? :) Anyway, I'm curious to know more.

Posted on 12 years ago

Great...keep us posted if you find out anything more about them.

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here