Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Got my Acrolite - Question(s).

Picked up the Acrolite and the rest of the kit I scored for $149.00 yesterday. Something else I hadn't noticed - The kick came with a mint condition Aquarian Super Kick I batter, Aquarian Regulator reso. and a Remo Muffl ring. That setup alone would cost around $60.00 new I believe. I plan on swapping those heads to another kit (which I'm keeping), but I'll likely not use the Muffl Ring as it dampens too much for my taste.

On to the question - The snare wires on the Acrolite do not look original. What would you recommend as a replacement set? I don't want an exaggerated snare sound, as I prefer to hear a good amount of shell from a snare drum.

The snare sounds quite good now even with the unoriginal wires and a beat up Evans G2 head. I plan on doing a cleanup of the snare and replacing the heads while I'm at it.

Thanks.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 18 years ago

There are a bunch of Ludwig snare wires on ebay right now. Check them out.

Regarding the Muffl ring. Do you use a front head without a hole? I do and have found that the Muffl ring on the front head with a Power stroke on the batter side is an exceptional combination. Very full and warm with a little sustain to make the sound rich but still punchy. I have to mike it from the batter side but that is the way I go for what it's worth. As long as your swapping heads around give it a try and tell me what you think.

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

D' Drummer

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee19/sabshga/

http://www.myspace.com/garysabshon

Posted on 18 years ago

Hi, i suggest trying puresound blaster wires. These work really well on metal snare drums, and even tend to add a little beef to the shell sound.

bigzParty

Posted on 18 years ago

Quoted post

There are a bunch of Ludwig snare wires on ebay right now. Check them out.Regarding the Muffl ring. Do you use a front head without a hole? I do and have found that the Muffl ring on the front head with a Power stroke on the batter side is an exceptional combination. Very full and warm with a little sustain to make the sound rich but still punchy. I have to mike it from the batter side but that is the way I go for what it's worth. As long as your swapping heads around give it a try and tell me what you think.GaryDix Hills, NYD' Drummer

Great - I'll have a look on eBay.

Of the 3 kicks I own, only one has no hole in the reso head. I also just happen to have a Powerstroke III on the way. I'll have to spend an afternoon trying all the different combo's.

I've heard the puresound's mentioned before. I may check them out if I can't find an original Ludwig.

Posted on 18 years ago

Update - Finally had some time to spend on the Acrolite. The strainer was stamped Japan on the underside.

Also, the serial number is 159XXXX - Am I correct in assuming this is a '75 - '76 drum?

More questions - The brass eyelet/vent thingy is rattling around. Any tips on how to tighten it? The muffler pad is also rattling around/loose. Is this normal or should I try to snug it up?

I plan on doing a thorough cleanup of the drum. It's in great shape, just hasn't been cleaned in a long time. I'll snap some pics along the way.

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here