Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

got a free vintage Yamaha set

Long story short- I got a free vintage Yamaha drum set. I love it! It's a 70's kit from what I can tell. It's made in Japan.

I want to set it up and rock it.....just one problem: There are no legs, and one of the entire leg mounts is missing! Boo!

Without the legs, it won't stay level, obviously.

I refuse to drill new holes for new legs, I'd like to try and find some replacements. I've been looking for a few weeks and no luck. I hope someone can help me out!

Two pictures- one is the outside of the bass drum, the other is the inside. I'm missing the whole shebang on the other side. The other is the kit itself!

Also missing the cymbal riser on the top of the bass drum- not necessary but I'd like to find a replacement if possible. Looks like same mount as a leg mount on the floor tom.

Someone help me please! I sure hope someone has a few spares laying around. Having this drumset sitting around and not being able to play it is driving me nuts!

[Attachment: 26247]

[Attachment: 26248]

[Attachment: 26249]

3 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

PM sent re parts

Andrew

Golden Curtain
www.myspace.com/garagelandnz
Posted on 13 years ago

BTW, that's a pretty cool score for free. They are much higher quality than most of the Japanese brands of that period and worth decent money.

Here are some pics of the parts you need that I PM'd you about.

2 attachments
Andrew

Golden Curtain
Posted on 13 years ago

Cool set! Congrats on your score. I love the wrap!

Posted on 13 years ago

You must have good karma. Those are really nice sets. You look after it and enjoy it.

Posted on 13 years ago

I found this kit on Craigslist in July of last year. The ad basically said "old drumset - FREE - take today or its going in the trash" I emailed them and asked for directions. Half hour later it was in my basement! The people who gave it to me said their son played it in the 80s, and it's been sitting since. They got it at an auction in 1982 for $25. They just wanted it outta the way, or it was going in the dumpster!

It just the shells, i had to find a hi hat stand, bass pedal, cymbals, ect. I LOVE this set! I can't wait to finally play it! It doesn't have any bottom heads on it, not even on the bass drum, but the rings are there. The snare drums doesn't have any snares, but that can be fixed easily.

I'd like to restore this kit, there is a little rust on the rings and such. Guess I'll be doing a lot of restoration reading! I love the wrap.

Any clue how to accurately date this thing? My guess is early 70's.

Posted on 13 years ago

It's around 1968. The colour is Blue thunder. (thanks to rogersling for coming up with the proper name for the finish) I have the same kit in red thunder. See the thread on that one here: http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=19605

You'll find all the advice you need here to restore them. A very helpful bunch.

Andrew

Golden Curtain
Posted on 13 years ago

Welcome aboard! If you can't get the originals at a reasonable tick, try here:

http://www.drumfactorydirect.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_107_80&products_id=4893

These are replacements that are almost identical. You may want to measure the diameter of yours as there are 2 sizes. Great kit, and they typically bring between 500-750 when properly restored and cleaned. Very good score! I am envious!

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago

All you need to do is ask someone on line with an old Olympic Premier kit to measure the length of there legs and then you need the internal circumfrance of the housing on the bass drum leg suport and buy some alloy tube and cut to lentgh i think they are the straight legs so no bending involved and should be metric because they were made in japan so you should get a standard diameter posible 10mm.. looking at it finish the legs with some rubber blanking ends....failing that! contact Yamaha they might make you some because they have records of all there kits they were the first to impliment quality control on a mass production scale.....so scema and blue prints must servive!Excited

Posted on 13 years ago

sonor did a 70sn kit called the tear drop the Yamaha fittings of that time were joined on all the drums in the middle go to this link and check out the Yamaha and the sonner i thing yours looks like the sonnor dudeToilet

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here