Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Gorgeous Kent drum kit (shell pack) on ebay

If anyone is interested in Kent kits, there is a gorgeous one on ebay. Nicest I've ever seen. Brought back memories, as my first kit looked like these - same black diamond pearl with blue labels - but mine was in "downbeat" sizes.

This kit is pricey, but it's beautiful. Regards, mb

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154793869980?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11021.m43.l3160&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=f288ef0c6eae4330be10eb02b097ce3f&bu=43818277883&ut=RU&osub=-1%7E1&crd=20220114064447&segname=11021&sojTags=ch%3Dch%2Cbu%3Dbu%2Cut%3Dut%2Cosub%3Dosub%2Ccrd%3Dcrd%2Csegname%3Dsegname%2Cchnl%3Dmkcid

Posted on 2 years ago

Nice kit....but was the "mounted" tom originally supposed to be mounted on a snare stand? I see no brackets anywhere on the bass drum or the tom....Interesting.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 2 years ago

In one picture you can see the diamond plate where a clip type mount would hold the tom. Round arm on the bd and clip end on the tom.

Posted on 2 years ago

That's a good looking drum set. But, for that price, you can find some very nice Slingerland or Ludwig American-made drums of the same vintage. I know that there are Kent drum lovers. I'm not one of them.

No matter how far you push the envelope, it is still stationery.
Posted on 2 years ago

Re: amosguy's comment about the diamond-shaped mounting plate on the tom, a look through Dennis J. Brown's "History of the Kent Drum Company" shows that Kent used several different tom mounts, including the old-fashioned type that clamped onto the bass drum hoop. And this type mount used the diamond-shaped mounting plate on the tom. I suspect this was the original configuration with the Kent kit on ebay.

The Kent book also shows the standard rail-consollete mount, but I never saw any of those on Kents.

I grew up near the Kent factory and nearly all of my drummer friends could only afford Kents. The only mount that I remember - from the mid-1960s - was the simple elbow-shaped mount with the ratcheting adjustment at the "elbow." The stem at either end fit into a socket in the bass drum and tom (same as the cymbal stem socket on the ebay bass drum shown in the pics) and tightened with a drum key against a small bolt.

This was a poor design; difficult to get your tom at the right height (if you were tall) and at the right angle and position, but for fledgling young drummers, it did the job. And that's all that Kent drums were - entry level drums at affordable prices.

About 10 years ago, I bought a nice looking 8-lug Kent snare on ebay, purely for nostalgic reasons. It appeared to be one of the better built Kent snares, but I was disappointed that it still sounded lousy! Ha! I sold it.

Regards, mb

Posted on 2 years ago

From amosguy

In one picture you can see the diamond plate where a clip type mount would hold the tom. Round arm on the bd and clip end on the tom.

I see it now on second look! Thanks!

And thanks, Marty for the reminder of the clip-on bass drum tom mount option....totally forgot about those! But, yes, that would explain things!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 2 years ago

Seems way over priced. I have only seen a few Kent drums in the wild and I wasn't impressed with the build quality. Marty Black seems to confirm that impression.

Posted on 2 years ago

Agreed, way overpriced. A couple years ago I had an extremely nice 9x13 14x14 14x20 5x14 in BDP, blue label. Both the bass and snare were 8 lug. I was overjoyed to get $500 for the kit in a local sale.

John/Levelpebble

Tama Superstar 81 Aqua bop
Rogers Cleveland BDP (x2), Silver bop, Champagne, Black/Gold Duco, WMP, Blue sparkle; Dayton Red Onyx;
Camco Oaklawn 12 14 20 5x14 Tuxedo WMP
LW 59 SC Blue Sparkle, WMP
WFL Gold Sparkle SC, WMP Compacto
Gretsch 49/50 Broadkaster WMP
Fibes Copper Forte
Remo MasterEdge Bop, Gold Crown, Mondo
Slingerland Conway Black Satin
70's MIJ Del Ray, my first and fav ok I'm lying here
Way Too Many Snares, She Says
Posted on 2 years ago

Seller`s feedback isn`t impressive...

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 2 years ago

I remember the Kent drums from back in my early years of lusting for a drum set. That would be when I was 12--15 years old in 1955--1958. The drums from the Sears and Montgomery Ward catalogs and the Japanese-made drums in the bargain section of music stores seemed flimsy to me and sounded "boingy" when struck with sticks. Kent drums were just as lousy irrespective of where the company claimed they were made. I was very fortunate to get a used three-piece Gretsch set in 1958. It was painted in the factory with two-tone Duco lacquer (Cameo Coral and Charcoal Gray). The mounted tom had one of those hoop mounts with two ratchets--one for height and the other for angle. That came in handy for me because I was able to switch the tom to the other side when I decided to play a right-handed set in an open-handed way.Those drums felt and sounded like real professional-quality instruments with not a hint of "boinginess". I still lusted for a floor tom, but made do with this drum set until I was able to use my savings augmented with some help from Mom and Dad to order a new Rogers four-piece set in Black Diamond Pearl.

No matter how far you push the envelope, it is still stationery.
Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here