Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

GOOD QUALITY boom vocal mike stand?

I'm a singing drummer,and a weak link in my setup for years has been the spindly boom stands offered by typical music stores.My stand is behind me extended above my head and booming towards the front,with a gooseneck bent in a c shape to put the mike in front.I made a counterweight out of iron pipe to keep the boom from eventually falling down while playing.Anybody have any better stands they have used?

Posted on 14 years ago

You're right, standard mic booms don't work very well. :(

I take the top section of a Ludwig Atlas cymbal stand out and replace it with a boom and goose neck from a mic stand. The Ludwig stand is lighter than some big Tama double braced stuff but good enough for a mic.

You need to have a short section of a mic stand to screw the boom on. I swing the mic behind my head when I'm not using it. The best way seems to be if the mic stand is behind me and comes over the top of my head, but often there's not enough room behind me at gigs for that so it goes on the side.

I've thought that I should make a mic stand that comes up out of my trap case, as that's often beside me at gigs.

Posted on 14 years ago

Hi,

K&M metal boom stands are sturdy. I never buy the plastic alternatives after a couple of failed experiments. The more expensive you go, the fewer hassles and regrets. I don't have any boom drooping with my more expensive metal stands. With the plastic stands, nothing would keep some of them in business, not pliers not beautious women, nothing.

I just set mine up near the hihat without a gooseneck. I have used your set up (gooseneck etc) in the past, and it is tippier. What I did was just throw something heavy on the back leg of the stand tripod (usually some piece of luggage that was kicking around the stage, but I eventually brought along one of those fabric ankle weights to use as a counter weight.)

Patrick

Posted on 14 years ago

This may be heavier duty for what you need, but I have one for my studio recording to hang heavier ribbon/tube mics:

http://www.markertek.com/Audio-Equipment/Microphone-Accessories/Microphone-Booms/Quik-Lok/QL-A50.xhtml

Alternately, you could get some sandbags used for camera tripods or some cheap free weights to help hold your stand a bit steadier.

1964 Slingerland Sound King 13/15/22 Ebony Satin Stain (refin.)
1965 Ludwig Downbeat 13/16/20 Turquoise Sparkle (rewrap)
1967 Ludwig Club Date 13/20 w/16" downbeat FT in Blue Oyster Pearl
1979/80 Ludwig Classic 13/14/24 Wine Red
1980 Yamaha Rec. Cust. 12/13/16/22 Cherry Red

...plus an ever-growing snare farm... Luddy/Ayotte/Slinger/Pearl/etc.
Posted on 14 years ago

That Quiklok is nice.Don't really need wheels.But that's the idea.Maybe I need to pick up a stand at a studio sale-thanks for all your inputs-also like the soft weights on the tripod legs.....

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here