Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Good deal or no?

Hi folks. Can I get your opinions on this. I found a drum kit for sale recently which is basically a no-name (CB-700 or similar) 5 piece kit. It's in okay condition, but the kicker is the snare - It is I believe, a Blue and Oval badge Ludwig Acrolite. Not sure if the badge is pointy or rounded and can't remember how many lugs (6 or 8). Condition of the snare is good and appears all original (except heads).

I'm not a Ludwig expert so bear with me. I'm going back for a 2nd look ASAP, but I thought I'd ask...

1. Did they even make a 6 lug Acrolite at some point (student model, etc...)?

2. The entire kit is only $169.00 - I figure the snare is worth around $100.00 anyhow.

My thought is, buy the set, grab the snare and re-sell the set with another snare included, for less $$$ of course. There might even be some hardware with it as well (nothing great I'm sure).

Thanks - Looking forward to your replies.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 18 years ago

It should be 8 lugs on the Acro. A six lugger is something else.

At $169 you should be able to keep the snare and make some money back

on the drums. Is the $169 a final offer, or can you start at lower amount?

For resale you could just sell the set, it is common to sell a set without a snare.

Even if you get $80 for the set, you did good on the snare

David

Posted on 18 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply David - I've been wanting an Acro in my collection for a while now and this looks like the best way to get one. I figured as you did - Buy the kit, keep the snare and then re-sell the kit. I could even throw in a $29.00 Pulse piccolo snare which I don't really use if I have a hard time selling the kit without a snare.

The $169.00 is the asking price, but it's used so there may be some room to haggle. I'll have another look at it and if it's what I think it is, I'll own it shortly.

Should be easy to get $80.00 - $100.00 for the kit if it includes hardware. I'll let you know how it goes.

Anther quick question(s) - If it's the pointy badge model, does that increase it's value at all (being older) or are they all pretty much the same? Is there a way to tell it's exact year of manufacture from the serial number?

Just remembered this - It has the P 85 strainer with the black painted insert. Must be a 70's then, right?

Posted on 18 years ago

I've sold the pointy and the rounded badges for about the same money.

It is probably a 70's drum and yes, the main web site has some serial

number charts for B/O badges.

David

Posted on 18 years ago

Well, I couldn't wait to get another look so I went tonight. Turns out the entire kit was only $149.00 and included a kick pedal, snare stand, hi-hat stand, cymbal stand, cymbal and a throne.

Naturally, I bought it. It's on 30 day hold (state law with used stuff) so I haven't got my hands on it yet, but I did look at the snare more closely. It is indeed an 8 lug Acrolite with the pointy badge.

I took a quick picture of the badge with my camera phone and I'll try and decipher the serial number shortly (if I can read it).

Figure if I can get between $80.00 and $100.00 for the rest of the kit, then I'm doing well.

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here