Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.45720%

Good Deal on Ludwigs?

I want to buy this drum kit as an investment and play occasionally. The guy sent me pictures of it and from what he tells me and from what I can see from the pictures, they look pretty good. The sizes are 12" 13" & according to him a rare 18" floot tom, 22" bass. Serial #'s -

snare - 556703

Floor tom - 471008

bass drum - 505181

12" tom - 507533

13" tom - 606150

In one of the pictures I noticed that the mufflers were not there, but I called and we verified the the holes were there, so someone must have taken them out. Also in one of the pictures of the floor tom you can see that the wrap is brighter along the seam. Why is that? I ask him and since he's not the orginal owner he didn't know if they have been recovered, especially on the floor tom. Can you guy's tell me what might be the problem there? I don't want to drive 6hrs and spend $800 if the drums are not worth it. Please advise me. Thanks,

Posted on 15 years ago

Just a few thoughts:

1. You should take a look at the condition of the grommets from the interior of the respective shells. If they've been re-wrapped you can usually tell by the condition of the grommet, although this isn't true 100% of the time.

2. Original Ludwig wraps from this period were literally "wrapped" right into the wooden shells. You should be able to see this , once you remove the heads.

3. If the shells were, in fact, re-wrapped, you might want to re-consider purchasing this kit for "investment purposes." An ORIGINAL Oyster Black Pearl Ludwig Kit would be what you'd want OR another similar kit with its ORIGINAL wrap.

4. I can't tell for sure by the pics presented, but it looks like the snare might be a vintage Ludwig Supraphonic.

Just my two cents worth.

Posted on 15 years ago

if they are original wraps, $800 is a good price with the supraphonic..........

Posted on 15 years ago

My senses tell me that it's probably a cool kit...but I just can't explain that brighter band of wrap that looks like it could have come about if the shell was re-wrapped.. I LOVE OBP!! But, would I drive 6 hours to get a kit unless I was absolutely sure it wasn't a re-wrapped kit? Probably not. If it is cool, though, as already stated, $800 is a steal!Burger Kin Good luck and keep us posted!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

Offering my two cents from the peanut gallery...

Just browsing around ebay ... $800 seems to be at the low end of what people are getting for 60's vintage Ludwig kits without a snare... Supras seem to bring $200-$250 on a pretty regular basis. So hey.. your deals looks good.

That would, of course, be based on a true and honest description of the kit by your seller and it would seem to be a real fair deal. You're not really stealing them from him ($800 is $800) but it would seem you would never lose money on the drums if you had to sell them tomorrow.

It's a sweet kit... that's certainly the Ludwig drum set everybody pictures when you say 60's vintage Ludwig drum set.

Let me edit this...I didn't see O-Lugs post-- if O-Lugs says it's a steal-- pull that sock hat over your face and go get'em! ;)

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

P:rostix:

Rather than driving the 6 hours, why not ask the current owner to remove the heads to check if the wrap actually is "tucked" into the respective shells. While he (or she) is at it, have him check out the condition of the grommets.

Where are the badges located on the rack toms? I don't see them in either picture that you posted.

Posted on 15 years ago

Hmmmm....upon inspection of the picture, I am perplexed at the brightness of that seam area. It almost appears as if the overlap of the wrap has been cut away to expose the unfaded section that would have been underneath. I can't see a lot of detail in the photos.

It's a tough one to call...but the drums look pretty darn good from what I can tell. I guess it depends on how nice of a car you have and what kind of traffic and weather you're willing to deal with.

I'm leaning 60/40% in my feeling that at least four of the drums are cool. I just can't be sure about the floor tom. See if the seller will lower the price a bit to compensate for the uncertainty. It's probably a good deal even if the floor tom turns out to be a re-wrap. Still, I wouldn't really be able to consider it an "investment grade" kit at this point.

Posted on 15 years ago

That wrap was never reproduced (accurately) after Ludwig switched to the bowling ball type of oyster blue, so it's doubtful that the drums are recovered.

They do look pretty faded, which is common...the area around the seam on the FT is "curious"...those wraps tend to stretch away from the seam over time, but that looks like more that the usual half inch or so...

Posted on 15 years ago

Exactly, Rich. I was thinking the same thing. You're right about OBP not being reproduced. I was thinking that maybe the drum's original wrap may have pulled up and the owner or someone re-wrapped it with the original wrap and might have put the "inside" part of the overlap on the outside. Or, maybe there was a big curl of pulled wrap at the seam and someone cut the curled strip back.

I think it's probably a safe bet to buy it for that price. I wish I could be sure!Burger Kin

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here