Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

GoneDrumming - Restoration Notebook

I'm going to use this thread as a personal notebook. Please feel free to add to it.

NOTE: I AM A NOVICE THERE ARE OTHERS ON THIS FORUM THAT ARE MORE EXPERIENCED THAN I AM.

[COLOR="Navy"]Radio King Snare Hardware (Late 30's early 40's)[/COLOR]

Hardware Bolts - 4-36 half inch nickel plated round head machine screw. These will not usually be at a hardware store of any kind. They act like a 4-40but they are not. You can find the exact machine screws by searching online or at an electronics parts distributor.

I found a great source for Nickel plated nuts and bolts in the old odd thead sizes that we need for some restorations. As you know, going to a hardware store really limits our finish choices to usually stainless or zinc.

http://www.electronicplus.com/

They seem to have everything and very friendly to order from. Just search out your products order online or write down the part numbers and give them a ring.

Interior Lug Screws - Black Sharpie works great for coloring/restoring the black interior lugs screws. Color them and wipe off the excess.

Snare wires - Puresound 14" Radio King Wires with strap (if the throw has a screw hole in it). 16 strand with an overall length of 15 7/8".

[COLOR="Navy"]Polishing[/COLOR]

Firm wheel for first layer and smooting when parts are back from plater with a 3 compound. Soft wheel with 5 compound for gloss finish. Use high rpm polishing wheel. If you are new to this practice on dead parts. Some of the older parts do not polish well because of pitting and thin plating. If concerned about removing the original plating, polish by hand.

[COLOR="navy"]Cleaning Threads[/COLOR]

Navel Jelly - Dip only the threads, jelly will damage chrome. Let sit for 5 minutes. Only do 3 or 4 at a time.

Rinse with clean water and stainless brush. Clean with clear amonia and electric toothbrush. Rinse again.

Next WD40 on the threads and let them soak for about a minute - scrub with a brass brush. Clean again with Nevr-Dull and then buff with a terry cloth towel.

[COLOR="Navy"]Grommet Aging[/COLOR]

You can age a grommet by heating it up with a torch. DO NOT OVER HEAT OR IT WILL MELT. You can also age it by soaking it in Apple Cider Vinegar and Salt.

[COLOR="Navy"]Snare Cable or Cord[/COLOR]

Here is a link to snare cord.

http://www.steveweissmusic.com/produ...re-drum-snares

[COLOR="Navy"]Logos - Stock and Custom[/COLOR]

Bentley's Drum Shop - 559-222-5011

[COLOR="navy"]PureSound Wires[/COLOR]

Bentley's Drum Shop - 559-222-5011 (fast and friendly, good stock)

[COLOR="navy"]Aquarian American Vintage Heads[/COLOR]

Rupp's Drum Shop - 888-756-5777 - Steve (very professional shop, good stock on hand)

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 15 years ago

I like the idea.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here