Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Gold Sparkle Pioneer

Hi all,

Just found this Pioneer Gold Sparkle snare with Nickel over brass hardware that matches my other early 60's drums with the same hardware. Pretty decent deal too. The drum sounds great and is near pristine except one problem, for some reason someone drilled a pencil size hole in it. Maybe for a little mic? who knows, but I have a little piece of wrap from the era that matches perfect. Plenty to make several round caps. so what would Jack Lawton or JC, any of you guys who are good at this do ? Dowel and top it with the wrap. I will need to punch the wrap for a perfectly round cap. What kind of punch ? Suggestions ? Fill with wood putty and cap it? i want this to look perfect so I am searching for the best solution. I know if done correctly you probably won't be able to even notice.

Posted on 5 years ago

The problem is the wrap almost floats at times so you never get a exact bond I’d leave it and just play it but your method will work good luck

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 5 years ago

I was thinking that too possibly. Why in the world would someone do that to a pristine snare. Unbelieveable !

Posted on 5 years ago

Here is a page from my thread way back when I plugged holes in my Camco bass drum.

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=50249&page=4

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 5 years ago

Just my opinion but I would leave it the way it is.

Beautiful snare , I would be scared something would happen in the process.

It is part of the snare's history that really can't be changed.

Wayne

Posted on 5 years ago

well i wont be doing anything to worsen it. a 3/8" inch little cut dowel with a gold sparkle cap on it, pushed into place. see how it looks. it is a 3/8" hole made with a drill so it is a precise hole. and then again, it is not that noticeable.

Posted on 5 years ago

Ahh I get it now,.

I thought you were punching the wrap on the snare

A little slow on the uptake.

So you will put a piece on top of the dowel and push the dowel in.

That should work and if you don’t like it bang it out.

Worth a shot.

Pictures when done.

Wayne

Posted on 5 years ago

that is my plan. picked up a dowel yesterday at Home Depot. going to try and see how well it works in the next couple days. Took me a couple try's on a capped dowel but got it plugged. This was the first plug I made. I felt the cap was filed a little to close to the wood, actually was even. The second one had a little lip 1/32 maybe. It fit nice and snug and I inserted the head just barely then with my finger rubbed Gorilla wood glue on the dowel and tapped it in , then evened it up to match the outside wrap. Not bad. Will post a pic .

1 attachments
Posted on 5 years ago

This is the panel where the hole was plugged. Thank goodness I held on to that little scrap of vintage gold sparkle.

1 attachments
Posted on 5 years ago

Looks great! Nice job.

Posted on 5 years ago
Action Another action Something else here