Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

Gold Sparkle Drum Kit Identification

I picked up this vintage drum set the other day in a charity (thrift) shop, they were dirty and dusty. After a clean up they're looking pretty good! but I can't find any badges or signs of a maker. The cymbals and some of the stands I believe are non original so don't provide any help. I'm starting to think they are a copy of Pearl drum set, or may have been wrapped at something hence the lack of badges. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted on 2 years ago

The things you’ve mentioned seem true to me too. A re-wrapped pearl stencil type kit.

Posted on 2 years ago

Hello Octobean! And Welcome to the forum!

Member Olimpass is correct about this being a Pearl-type stencil kit. It is most likely an MIT (Made In Taiwan) set. It's very common to see these sets with Pearl-style lugs and tom holders. I've seen this style of wrap before. It's most likely a thin wrap that has a tendency to bubble and/or pull around the lugs and mounts after a bit of time. Looks cool, though!

I flipped your first two pictures for the correct orientation!

Does the bass drum have 6 lugs per side? How about the lug count on the other drums? I also noted that the floor tom is positioned upside down. The leg brackets should be at the bottom of the shell and not the top!

Hopefully, you got this set for cheap. If so, they'll make a fine practice set. Thanks for sharing!

-Mark

Posted on 2 years ago

Hi all ! Cool Dude

Thankyou idrum5fun for flipping the images, much better to view! You are correct the wrap has bubbled in certain places, so as you say must be quite thin.

There are 6 lugs each side of the bass and all the other drums apart from the metal snare. The ply inside the bass is different and quite red compared to the other drums and looks to be of decent quality.

I only paid £30/$34 for everything including some modern cymbals so haven't broken the bank and couldn't resist so just a bit of fun really!

What era are these 'stencil' kit type drums generally from.. 1980s?

p.s. I've turned my floor tom the correct way up now!

Thanks all

Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here