Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Glue for Ludwig 3 ply drums and bearing edges

Hi from Canada.

1. I have heard that the old Ludwig drums were glued with "animal glue" and am wondering if I have reinforcing rings that are separating from the shell - which I do -what sorts of glue would be best to re-attach things?

2. What kind of material can you use to fill gaps in the bearing edges with the old ludwigs - sometimes it looks like the mahogany kind of disintegrates in small sections - or is this a case where the drum needs to be filed down?

Thanks for any advice, all.

Jeff

Posted on 13 years ago

From leica 5150

Hi from Canada.1. I have heard that the old Ludwig drums were glued with "animal glue" and am wondering if I have reinforcing rings that are separating from the shell - which I do -what sorts of glue would be best to re-attach things?2. What kind of material can you use to fill gaps in the bearing edges with the old ludwigs - sometimes it looks like the mahogany kind of disintegrates in small sections - or is this a case where the drum needs to be filed down?Thanks for any advice, all.Jeff

Welcome! First, we would need to see pix of the actual damaged area and any separations/delaminations. "Animal Glue" is actually "hide glue", or something like what we use today for wood glues. A good quality wood glue, such as Elmer's Wood Glue or Titebond (I, II, III) will do you right, but please, before making these adjustments, let us have a look and make some recommendations so you don't make irreversible mistakes. We really are gentle folk, but we take vintage drums and restorations done properly

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago

From leica 5150

Hi from Canada.1. I have heard that the old Ludwig drums were glued with "animal glue" and am wondering if I have reinforcing rings that are separating from the shell - which I do -what sorts of glue would be best to re-attach things?2. What kind of material can you use to fill gaps in the bearing edges with the old ludwigs - sometimes it looks like the mahogany kind of disintegrates in small sections - or is this a case where the drum needs to be filed down?Thanks for any advice, all.Jeff

Welcome! First, we would need to see pix of the actual damaged area and any separations/delaminations. "Animal Glue" is actually "hide glue", or something like what we use today for wood glues. A good quality wood glue, such as Elmer's Wood Glue or Titebond (I, II, III) will do you right, but please, before making these adjustments, let us have a look and make some recommendations so you don't make irreversible mistakes. We really are gentlefolk, but we take vintage drums and restorations done properly in high regard.

There are, afterall, only so many old (or as we like to refer to them"vintage") drums left, and we are charged today with taking care of and preserving them for future generations to study and enjoy. Keeping as close to original as possible is one of our tenets, and there are very strong opinions here on those proper procedures.

Let's see whatcha got!

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here