Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.86430%

Glitter Blast paint finish

Hey guys. Can someone post the link to thread regarding Glitter Blast paint finishes please? My iPhone IOS does not seem to let me perform a search.

Our good friend Billnvick more or less gave me some project shells so that I can build a small kit for one of my friend's sons. I was thinking that Glitter Blast would be a cool option for the wofefully challenged (i.e. me) as I am pretty sure I can at least handle a spray paint can. Beyond that I am probably doomed.

tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 12 years ago

If it's what I think you are speaking to, it's something that Jstix and I worked out several years ago. He did a few very nice kits using it. I'm working on a kit right now using it.

What Would You Do
Posted on 12 years ago

I think you are speaking of the product used by Graig ( fishwaltz) I think. I will see if I can find it.

JC

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 12 years ago

JC,

Thanks. I believe that is what I am looking for.

tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 12 years ago

Found it JC. Thanks for the tip.

tnsquint
Posted on 12 years ago

Sorry, thought you were talking about the hands on inexpensive glitter finish. My mistake.

What Would You Do
Posted on 12 years ago

Your welcome! Lets us know how your project turns out.

JC

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 12 years ago

From RogerSling

Sorry, thought you were talking about the hands on inexpensive glitter finish. My mistake.

Roger,

Any input is good input and all of it is appreciated I really like the method that you and Jonni do, I am just a little lazy and, since we are in the process of selling our house, I don't want to be that messy. Jonni's CoffeHouse Recreations look great. Good luck on your project.

tnsquint
Posted on 12 years ago

From RogerSling

If it's what I think you are speaking to, it's something that Jstix and I worked out several years ago. He did a few very nice kits using it. I'm working on a kit right now using it.

RogerSling,

My first experiment with Glitter Blast yielded far less than spectacular results. Much of that was due to a poor application job on my part and some is the limitation of the product. Before I simply punt and resort to wrapping these drums, do you or Jonni have a post detailing your method of applying a glitter finish? I have found a few threads with sketchy details and Jonni's YouTube posting, but I have not really seen the entire process.

tnsquint
Posted on 12 years ago

Well ... Not as such.

It's actually a fairly simple process, though.

Pull the hardware and wrap. Fill any pits. Sand very smooth.

Clean the shell with denatured.

Let dry and give it one more dust jic.

Spray on a base coat of color.

Let dry and check for smoothness. Adjust if necessary.

Spray a second base coat. Again, ensure smoothness.

Now, have the glitter ready and spray the final base coat and immediately apply glitter. Remove any excess glitter. Check for smoothness and even coating.

Repeat several coats with glitter, checking and adjusting as necessary.

Now, smooth it out as best you can.

Apply clear coat, alternating two clear with one clear plus glitter.

Then you apply several clear coats with light sanding and cleaning between each.

Make sure you let each and every coat dry thoroughly before you attempt another coat or smoothing.

The final clear coats are the key. They will give the drum the depth and protection, so don't rush it.

That's all there is to it. It takes between six and twenty coats from beginning to end ... depending on what you want for a final finish.

I will post a full thread on the kit I'm doing now ... when its finished.

What Would You Do
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here