Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

GLASS for the perfect surface

As most of you know - it is common practice for a perfect surface to be used (with a flashlight) for edges to be checked. I have read that glass can be used in lieu of a machined top of some sort (most commonly aluminum I believe). Well, I snagged up a glass door from an entertainment center for this purpose, then when I was doing my first full complete restore, I went to check some edges on it and discovered it had the ability to flex. FAIL. It did help some, but not to the degree that is really necessary.

On my way home, I just scored a huge mirror left out on the side of the road - (broken frame). It seems very heavy and solid - though not absolutely positive it will not flex either. The best part so far is that it is like 24x34!

Question - has anyone ever been able to successfully employ a piece of glass for this purpose of checking edges? I don't think I would be able to afford a metal machined (table) top of this size.

Thanks -

John

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 11 years ago

Please look for my reply in the "wrong place" under Vintage Drums. Toilet

Posted on 11 years ago

tdennis says:

I have a piece of glass that I use, it is from a table that was very thick,... this is what is important for flatness & stability. I wouldn't use glass from a door, window or mirror.

I copied/pasted your response here because I am trying to 'move' this thread.

tdennis - does this beg the question about glass behaving like a liquid as it gets thicker at the bottom over time - or is this all a myth?

This mirror I just scored is very thick - but have not dug into it enough yet to discover how thick the glass part of it is. I believe there is wood backing. I will check it out in the next couple days and report back here.

John

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

Posted on 11 years ago

Glass flows over time, but I think it takes quite a while, & your'e probably not going to have this as an issue. It's best to double check your surface carefully w/ a leveler.

Posted on 11 years ago

I would use a thick mirror. I would check it in several directions with a straight edge, and lay it on a surface covered by a towel so that little imperfections on the table will not effect it. It is going to be much much better than any countertop or floor. I bet it will be a high quality way to check.

Posted on 11 years ago

I am in the process of building work benches with carpet covering (for drum work) and will be able to lay this on that carpeted surface - perhaps that will be enough - so long as the table top is relatively true. I will report my findings when I can inspect this closer.

I gotta go to bed!

John

Posted on 11 years ago

I've been using an old discarded glass tabletop that was left outside due to a broken corner

Its 12mm thick (1/2 inch), and i ended up using adhesive-backed floor sander sheets stuck directly to it, for use as my sander/leveling surface

Posted on 11 years ago

I use a piece of 1/4 plate glass on my counter top.

It seems to work just fine.

If it's off by a few 1000's I don't think I would ever be able to tell or really care.

I don't have the money or the need for something like this.

http://www.precisiongraniteusa.com/Products.aspx

LoLoLoLo

www.macdrums.com
Posted on 11 years ago

you have to put the glass on something that properly supports it.

I use a sheet of tempered glass on a purpose built bench.

The entire top is level and trueand supports the glass fully.

NO Flex.

: real edging tables are usually made of a precisely cut and milled block of granite.

60's Sonor Teardrops & 70s Premier AMs
Sabian
Vic Firth
Remo/Evans

"unless it's vintage, it's just another wooden tube."
Posted on 11 years ago

If it were a string or brass valve instrument I can see the precision, A drum is not that precise of an instrument.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here