Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Giving a BD a new life

I guess I'll post this here. Quick story,

We were given a number of drum pieces last summer. Some turned out to be fantastic (Leedy snare and Slingy BD both from late 30's)

What was included, and was originally headed for the garbage dump before I intervened on its' fate was an old, basic looking bass drum. I never heard of Capri drums until that day, nor have I heard of them since. All I know is that they were made in England.

So, I decided to remove the boring, marred beige wrap. Then, an idea hit me. I found that I could store this bass drum in our living room as an end table. So, i set off on my "restoration" and ended up with this as my final product. It is functioning as an end table but is all bass drum. If you lift off the top, you'll still see the old original, albeit torn, calfskin heads.

The colors etc, were my idea. "TB" are the initials of my two boys: Tyler and Brandon - THEY LOVE IT!!!

Feel free to critique

3 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

Ringo did something like that, too. Pretty sweet stuff. I've never thought to do that. My luck - my wife would hit her toe on it and she would grow to hate drums. Can't afford that!!!

Posted on 15 years ago

Love it.

How does it sound when it is used as a bass drum?

If insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, is it insane to practice?
Posted on 15 years ago

I wanted to keep it with the functional option as I really liked the sound - It's got a lot of thump while not being too boomy. All that without any dampening. It's a 22 inch, the shell is 11 1/2 inches deep and it's 3 ply maple or birch with reinforcing rings that are about 1 inch wide.

The hoops were banged up pretty badly as the original foot pedal clamp had torn some of the surface laminate. I used automotive 2 part body filler as I find it's a lot more durable than wood filler and for some of the chipped edges on the hoops I used 2 part epoxy puddy. I also used my table saw (if you can believe) with the rip fence to cut new channels to lay the birch inlay strips.

I still have the legs to make but that'll be a breeze; I'll post pics when that is done too.

The only thing I regret is not having taken any pictures as I progressed.

I can say now though, with the utmost confidence that it is my favorite piece of, ahem, furniture we have.........

Posted on 15 years ago

Great idea. I have used drums for tables for years.

Posted on 15 years ago

I forgot to mention that was also my first attempt, ever, at applying a new veneer. The wood glue/iron technique worked like a charm!

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here