Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Gibson/Slingerland

Does anyone know how well made (or not) the modern day Slingerland drums are made by Gibson? I also heard they may get out of the drum business soon, and sell off the Sling brand. its so sad that a name once highly respected in the drum industry is getting thrown around like a sack of potatoes.

Lots of Slingerland drums
70's Pearl Fiberglass Ivory
Posted on 14 years ago

In my 5-week intense drum kit search in late 2009, I got to sit behind many new drums. The new Rogers were the most disappointing to my ears. I only tried two different Slingerland sets, and they were okay; slightly more pleasing to me were the new Gretsches. In between all my searching I also tried the new Ludwigs—the classic series set I played came the closest to me as having that "certain sound" we hope for when we sit behind a kit. (Remember now—the definition of "that certain sound" is different for all of us.)

But nothing, nothing new came close (to me) as when I got to play 1960s Ludwigs, Rogers, and Gretsches. (Even the 1970s Ludwigs were better than the new stuff!) That's when I knew exactly what I was gonna do: GO VINTAGE! And I am so glad I did!

Posted on 14 years ago

From slingerland

Does anyone know how well made (or not) the modern day Slingerland drums are made by Gibson? I also heard they may get out of the drum business soon, and sell off the Sling brand. its so sad that a name once highly respected in the drum industry is getting thrown around like a sack of potatoes.

For all intents and purposes Slingerland is dead. Gibson never had a clue how to manage or market the brand; many examples have been recounted about overall spotty quality control (issues like wrap coming off drums on the showroom floor) and it didn't help that they were ridiculously overpriced and difficult to find, as very few places carried them due to Gibson's strong-arm dealer tactics. These are/were not the same drums as what came out of Nashville during the Gretsch/HSS era. The drums from that era were also a bit pricey but at least the quality was impeccable, which you would expect from Pat Foley and Sam Bacco.

Conway Slingerland drums (if you can find them) are not BAD drums, but for the money you could probably get several vintage Slingerland sets, or maybe even a couple Nashville sets, either of which would be a better representation of true Slingerland quality and value.

Jeff

Posted on 14 years ago

The Conway Slingerland drums WERE very nice truth be told. ( I say WERE as the company is indeed OOB, and most probably not coming back ) Excellent construction with PERFECT shells. I did a bit of consulting for them back in 2004 and ended up with a very nice set of drums as well as a ONE OF 6/12X14 solid shell RK snare drum, all in the GK white WMP. The set is a "custom" BR #80N as the BR configuration is in place including both shell mount "L" arm cymbal holders. The set also features 70's era hardware! with the exception of the BD spurs. I chose a 14x14 and a 16X16 in place of dual 16's as I prefer the tonal spread of the 14 and the 16... otherwise, the BR set. I use these as my practice set in my drum room, but I have gigged them a couple of times... I had to! I'll attach a pic of the set and three of the solid shell RK snare with 3 point and COB engraved choppers!

If you can find a Conway built Slingerland set, you would have no issue with the build/sound quality... they are very good! Unfortunately, Gibson/Tobias/Slingerland priced these drums WAY TOO HIGH, and as snowdog mentioned, there was very little in the way of dealer support/distribution.

Tommyp

Posted on 14 years ago

Tommy, you are on the mark about these drums, i got to sit behind a kit at Namm, and they sounded great, well built, i did like them, also gibson tried to run the drum industry, like they do the guitar industry, the drums were way to costly and the demands on what dealers had to do to have the dealership and if they dare take on the line, it was to great, gibson understands guitarist, they don't understand drummers!!! Now also in review, when i was at the slingerland booth, if memory serves me correct their where only 3 kits set up, and they where ON the side of the booth, if anyone else was there help me out,

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

Bummer on the new Rogers kits. I contacted a few vendors on their list and none of them carry them.

Tommyp that's a nice looking set of Slingerlands. I've been away from the drum scene for many years. And I was hopeful to buy a new set of Rogers/Slingerlands but it's been a dead end search. Coffee Break2

Just more reasons to buy vintage I suppose.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 14 years ago

Tommy sent you a PM about your drums,

Lots of Slingerland drums
70's Pearl Fiberglass Ivory
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here