Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

German Snare Drum from late 1800 or early 1900??

I've had this snare drum since the mid-60s and never really knew what it really was. Originally told it was Hessian vintage from Revolutionary War years, but never believed it. While in college during the 80s, I saw a picture of a German band from either the German Empire years (late 1800s) or the Weimar Republic years (early 1900s) and this style drum was being played. Drum shell is brass and the rims are cast metal of some kind, but tough to tell due to the paint. 14" x 6" shell. The hoops are original, but the calf skin heads were mounted by The Drum Shop in Detroit back in the 60s when I first got the drum. They also rigged contempory snares without damaging the original strainer configuration. The drum had old and dry rotted cat gut snares when I found it. The sticks are original and have a unique brass drumkey on the butt ends. The lug strews, total of five with a triangular head, thread directly into fittings on the bottom rim. One of the pictures shows a stick vertical with the key on the lug screw.

Any ideas what this really is or what it might be worth?

Posted on 14 years ago

You're right, it is not a Revolutionary War Era drum, they would have been using roped tension. Machine parts were not produced until 1820-1840, there were small shops making parts (castings, screws, etc) but not interchangeable.

So any time after 1840 to be a bit more accurate.

Could be a Regimental Drum, Color Guard of some sort, or a Circus Band snare. There were many Regiments and Guards, where to start to look?

Are there any markings or labels in the drum? Name, initials or date scratched inside of the shell or on the hoops?

It's a nice snare, especially the drum key in the sticks. (they should do that now! Keys get lost but never sticks!)

Posted on 14 years ago

Cool drum,Neat idea about the stick/key,Just thinking out loud,I would think the sticks have good rebound being back weighted like that? The color on the Rims makes me think Swiss,also the efficient understated engineering and thought behind it.Just my 2 cents.Thanks for posting and the pics.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here