Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

George Stone Master Model

Hey all! So I had the great fortune to win this natural finish Master Model at such a low price... http://www.ebay.com/itm/380421369604?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 It just arrived today in better condition than originally thought! The original heads are on it with: George Stone Hanover Mass. written on them. Pretty neat! I will hopefully get around to posting some photos from here, other than the eBay ones, but in the meantime I was hoping to get some advice:

Car Driving2 lets get rolling... (i intend for this to be a players drum)

Missing Clip: So i have 23 of the 24 clips. Frustrating!! Would anyone happen to have one just laying around? Would you know of somewhere I could find such a replacement? Should I just use the clips on one side and some other form of tension on the other (and if so, what?)?

Ply Separation: There is extremely minor separation in the 3 ply shell on both sides. should i syringe with glue, and if so what kind? or is that best left in the hands of a professional?

Shining it up: I see people mentioning Novus and Novus 2... but that works for wraps, not natural wood right? I may just leave it as is anyways since it has mojo.

Thanks in advance.

SLIGHT UPDATE: it appears that the wood hoops are a little bit out of round, and i'm not even the most fond of that look. the things that hold the clips can also hold regular tension rods sooo... May just get some single flanged hoops with clips.

Posted on 12 years ago

let's get rolling..., You lucked out, & got an extremely rare, high quality snare for peanuts. Why not restore it to it's original design ? You may want to rethink turning it into something that looks & sounds like everything else. (I wouldn't doubt you already have several "players". It's a shame you don't like the "looks " of such a special & unique instrument).

Posted on 12 years ago

tdennis, thanks for the reply! Yeah, you're probably right-- my biggest concern is getting the one extra clip and tighteners, so I guess I'm overreacting.

I'm definitely putting the wood hoop on top because I have enough clips and it works fine. Snare side, though, is the issue.

What would you suggest for making the wood hoops back in round? They are slightly oblong as are the original calf heads. Shell seems to be fine, though.

Posted on 12 years ago

Wow. That seems like a ridiculous deal.

I don't think there's much you can do to really get the hoops back in round, other than putting them on the drum and evenly tensioning them down.

Congrats and have fun with it.

Posted on 12 years ago

Man, that one must have slipped by a lot of us. Cool drum at an unbelievable price.

Posted on 12 years ago

Hi jsjazz,

WOW!!!! You got an unreal deal on this thing! They usually sell for many many times that. Several hundred dollars minimum. I have eight of these and none were anywhere near this cheap...

As chance would have it, I have Adrian Kirchler working on one of these right now and I will have extra, authentic reproduction hooks in a few months when it is done. If you can patient, I'll set one aside for you. The original parts I sent just got to him in Italy last week. Looks like yours might be missing part of the butt and throw as well. Maybe you could get in touch with AK and see if he can repro the missing parts while he has originals in his hands?!?

These drums hold far more value as collectors pieces than as players, so I'd highly recommend leaving it in as original condition as possible. Be careful not to use any abrasive polishes on the hardware. That old nickel plating is thin and delicate. Many here, myself included have had great success with Cape Cod polishing clothes. Be careful with the wood finish as well - just a little lemon oil or other furniture polish on the wood parts should be enough to preserve what is there.

Be cognizant as you gently clean the drum of any marks inside the shell and under the hoops. Is there a number stamped or written inside the drum? Or a paper label? A stamping anywhere? Stone kept track of how many of these they were building and you may be able to date it more closely than the general range. Looks like 1925 or later based on the hardware. The hardware looks super bright. Could be chrome instead of Nickel in which case it's probably very late production - ca. 1930s.

I'd strongly recommend leaving the original hoops on the drum. If they're a little out of round - it's because they's 80 years old! It's not going to sound like a new drum no matter what you do to it! Ply separation is no huge deal, it is what it is. I'd let it be.

Dude, what an awesome drum! Let's see more more pictures!

-Lee

1 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago

Wow, What a price you got that drum for..I may have the chips that you are looking for.About 5 weeks ago i got a box of parts in they all seem to be from 1900 Stone,Page,Ete {mosty snare drum parts clips and or claws,rods,lugs,some strainer parts even parts i did know, even some rope drum parts} to maybe up to 1930.Iam still looking at all the parts i got in trying to put them together is my stock of vintage parts..It will take me a few days to get back to you...So if any one is looking for these kind of parts P/M.....Mikey

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here