Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.45929%

George B. Stone Separate Tension Band Drum

The before and after is so dramatic here, I just had to post it somewhere.

It's an 8" x 15" George B. Stone & Son Separate Tension Band Drum. This one was sitting in a basement in Hew Hampshire for a few decades before I got a hold of it. The bottom tension rods actually had dried mud in the slots! The shell is one ply maple with four re-enforcing rings.

I think we're talking early-mid 1920s here. The catalog photo is from Catalog K published in 1925 but this model is also pictured in the previous Catalog I from 1919. The drum is missing one claw and one rod but maybe I'll find replacements someday.

The unoriginal red and silver paint came off easily and then I had Joe Mac at Eames repair and refinish the shell. The nickel hardware shined up surprisingly well and this was the end result. Enjoy!

-Lee

Posted on 15 years ago

Looks fantastic Lee......if anyone would know how to restore a George Stone drum it would be Joe Mac, after all, in a way he is still making them. As a side note, the Leedy & Ludwig I purchased from you is coming along nicely. I have decided to leave it as a field drum and will only be restoring it cosmetically, no mods to be performed whatsoever. A very good wrap match (pre yellowing) has been found through Precision Drum and is on the way. Also, the nickle hardware is polishing up nicely, so hopefully I'll be able to post pics soon. I'm thinking calf heads may be in order though..... Mallet Player2

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here