Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.05219%

Geo B. Stone Master Model

I was recently the winning bidder in an ebay auction for a George B. Stone Master Model snare drum. I just received delivery today. My winning bid was $516. The drum is in excellent physical shape and has all the original hardware and no extra holes. It has what appears to be the original skin batter head and the head is still in playable condition. The only negatives: the snare side head has been replaced with a cheap plastic head, the original snares have been replaced with cheap Japanese coil wire snares, and the paint on the wood rims needs some touch up. It has a wonderful sound which will improve even more when the bottom head and snares have been upgraded.

See the following URL for pictures and description:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7358802566&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Since the Stone Master Model is often touted as a highly collectible drum, I was a bit surprised that there was not more interest in the auction. I was also surprised that the bidding did not go higher. What are your opinions? Did I get a good deal or not? And no, I am not interested in selling the drum. I bought it because I really wanted it. Thanks for your opinions.

Posted on 18 years ago

Are you sure you're not thinking of a Billy Gladstone snare drum? THOSE drums are probably the most highly coveted snare drums in the world. The Geo. B. Stone Master model is a "nice" drum for a collector, but are probably not versatile enough for modern application. It looks like a nice drum from what I can see. I think you made a safe deal. If you had gotten a Billy Gladstone drum, then you could pretty much name your price into the 5-figures...maybe more!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 18 years ago

I think in certain circles they are collectable, but not with many of the main stream collectors. I had my eyes on one last year on Ebay that was absolutely mint and 100% original.

It had a $699 or $799 price tag and ended up getting one bid for the price.

Looking at the bidder list I recognize a few of them and they are into this type of drum, but not at the price level.

David

Webmaster

Posted on 18 years ago

You did fine, maybe even on the low side pricewise....I've seen the same drum go for higher...a few years ago there was more interest in the Master Model...a bottom (slunk) head and correct wires will be easy to get...enjoy your drum.

Mike Curotto Keep on Pl

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here