Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

GB Made In Japan

Hello !

I'm new on this forum, I'm from France and I was looking for informations on a cheap vintage kit I'm about to buy. I found absolutely nothing on google nor french forums so maybe you can help me out!

So it's a "GB" Made in Japan 20", 16", 12" and 14" snare (don't know the depths yet) with pearl white finish.

What's interesting (beside the fact that it's under 200$) is that it's complete and apparently everything is original (even the cymbals!)

From what the seller told me it was a cheaper made Tama from the 70s... To me it looks more like a kit from the 60s (dimensions and hardware) but what do I know...

Have you ever heard about this GB brand? Does it looks good to you? I'm mostly curious but after all, is it worth it?

Here are some photos

Thank you very much for your help!

Posted on 7 years ago

Hello Aria

Yes indeed the kit is well worth buying

I would not hesitate for one extra second on that

The GB labels are not familiar to me distribution of kits so labeled

may have only been in your part of the world but the drum set itself is very familiar

They are not Tama or pre-Tama

They are made by a company called "Hoshino"

GO GET THEM NOW!!...and best of luck with them

P.S. coincidentally Hoshino also makes a kit labeled "Aria"

Posted on 7 years ago

Wow, thanks for the fast reply!

Funny indeed, my nickname has nothing to do with drums ;)

Looks promising, the seller is not too far from where I live, I will go and check it out tomorrow morning, I'll post more photos and info if I come back with it in my trunk (but I feel like I'm already sold! Cool Dude )

Do you have any idea of the exact model (if there's any), the years of production or where can I find more information about Hoshino Drums?

Thanks again!

Posted on 7 years ago

Hi There i second Kenwood go get those drums. Firstly they look fab secondly as stated they are from Hoshino. Im not an authority when it comes to these drums but when you get a complete set as nice as those then thats worth a great deal. As to value ive no idea. Could do with showing us all some more pics of interiors etc etc. Nice kit.....sean

Posted on 7 years ago

Salut Aria....Très drole because i once had an Aria kit that was exactly the same except it was a little newer with a solid silver wrap.....Buy it immediately in my opinion and Welcome.

Keep fixing them up...
Posted on 7 years ago

I haven`t seen that badge before!!

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 7 years ago

Hey Guys, Thanks for the replies.

So here it is!

Really good looking, it's actual sizes are 14"x20", 16"x16", 9"x13" and 5,5"x14". I'm quiet happy with it as it's the exact sizes I was looking for in years and are not really standard on modern kits.

Most of the parts are original and in ok condition. Even some drumheads look like they never been changed and the snare stand looks gorgeous.

One leg and its holder on the floor tom is missing and have been changed for another model, guess it'll have to do.

The toms sounds terrific even with these waisted drumheads and the snare reminds me of all those snare sounds of the late 60's Gainsbourg or Axelrod records I've been listening to for years. Harsh but cool

The hi-hat is an 14" Apollo "Made in West-Germany", the ride is a 20" Moonbeat and there's also a 16" Meinl Roman Mark "West-germany" drilled crash (to put rivets on, most probably). Do you know any of this?

Now the downside of this kit is obviously the bassdrum. It looks like at some point, it served as a water tank or something...

Everything is rusty and the previous owner covered some part in duct tape because the first ply started to crumble. I don't know how I'm gonna remove that... If at least it was black duct tape!

I bought it anyway because it looked fine on the outside and sounded okay, I hope this is not too bad.

At this point I don't know what to do with it yet, should I try to restore it, I guess that would mean drill out what's left of the rusty screws and figure something to make the new ones hold the lugs in place. Or leave it as it is. Maybe It will hold for another 50 years, who knows?

I also wonder if I should put some oily waxy honey thingy polish of some sort on the shell, the wood looks pretty dry... will it do any good?

Thanks again for your help and your interest! I'm happy to be here!

Also, my english is not perfect so, please correct me if i write something wrong

[IMG]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/922/vIDwZh.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/924/VSpXjC.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/922/V9hSGG.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/922/2JpYx3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/922/bXZEeo.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/923/EKMv5U.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 7 years ago

Hello again Aria

Oh my goodness its hard to believe that bass drum can look so good on the outside

and have that amount of water damage on the inside

It looks to me as if it may be too far gone to repair

I actually wrote a much longer message here

But I thought about it and decided it might be better to have some of our members

better qualified in the area of woodworking to chime in first as they could more likely say for certain

my ideas on how to proceed were in the event that your wood shell is too badly damaged to save

Posted on 7 years ago

Yes, I've read your post before you edited it. Sounded like a good idea but it's kinda as simple as finding another cheap vintage kit!

But it's not the wood that scares me the most, it really sounds ok like that and I've seen someone on YouTube using epoxy or wood glue to glue the plies back together and fill the missing parts. It seem like a good solution to renforce the drums while keeping its "soul", not changing the whole shell.

But what struggle with me the most is the hardware, the rust is so far gone that it seems impossible to unscrew all the parts... and even if I manage to do that I'm not sure I'll be able to screw something else into the lugs... if you have any advise on how to do that, it would be awesome!

Posted on 7 years ago

Hello,

This is a Hoshino (NOT pre-Tama) drum kit. That Hoshino was a separate drum company in the 70s, disappearing some years later without leaving any further traces.

I'd be very, very careful with unscrewing the fixing screws of the lugs. It might happen that the lugs (especially the ones in the bass drum) just break away - you won't find any cheap substitution.

If possible, I'd only give it a careful restoration outside and inside without trying to take away any of the hardware parts from the shells.

From the cymbals I only know the Meinl Romen Mark. It should be made of nickel silver. Entry level, nothing worthy.

Cheers, Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here