Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Garbage or Gold? Need help Identifying an old snare...

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, found you looking for info on identifying drums. I am in the market for a vintage snare, preferably Supraphonic or Acrolite, but I came across this and thought it was interesting, they want $35 bucks for it. I spoke to the woman on the phone and there were no markings, cept for a spot where there was once a badge or sticker. The throw works, tho the bottom head seems to be unseated. Will have to see if the rims warped if we go to get it. I looked around and couldnt find any throws that looked like this, tho to my eyes the lugs look like slingerlands, and I am guessing that wrap was once champagne or gold sparkle. The more I look at it it looks like a cheap snare, but what do I know...Any help would be greatly appreciated. Heres a few pics but I also made a gallery of all of em.. http://www.soulnyc.com/snare

[IMG]http://www.soulnyc.com/snare/images/drummpicd4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.soulnyc.com/snare/images/drummpicd8.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 17 years ago

No, it's likely not even an American drum. It's likely a Japanese import from the 70's. $35.00 is probably all it's worth. However...the Rogers logo head might be worth a few bucks to a Rogers collector. Something "funny" is definitely going on with the bottom rim -or possibly the head has torn loose of its flesh hoop.

I highly recommend you save the $35.00 and look for a used 70's Acrolite on Ebay. I see them all the time selling for under $100.00 and they are consistently great sounding drums.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

Man you must be a mind reader... I just posted that I wonder if I'd be better off with an Acrolite then the 90's Supra in my other post. Thanks alot. My gut is that you're on the money here. I just missed one going for $109 buy it now. Theres a few more I am watching. I'll post an update if I grab something.

Right now, I'm playing the matching snare that came with my Mapex M Birch set, but I feel its limited in the sounds it will produce, even tho I like it.

Thanks alot man, I really appreciate the help.

Posted on 17 years ago

Hi,

If you're set on picking up an Acrolite, I've got an EXTREMELY CLEAN one from the 70s that I'd be willing to sell you with the original Ludwig hard shell case for $120.00 (plus shipping costs). I'd be more than happy to send you some pics if you're interested. All I'd need is your e-mail address.

Posted on 17 years ago

OldSchool - thanks for the offer but I just saw this post AFTER I grabbed one I've been watching off Ebay tonight. $95 incl shipping for the snare, hardshell and stand. Looks to be late 70's. Can't wait to play it..

Posted on 17 years ago

Great choice. You're going to love the sound, especially for the low price!

Enjoy.

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here