Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

G-pa's Slingerland..where to start?

Hi all, I'm totally new to this. I've been wanting to clean up and use my grandfather's set that has been mostly in storage and unplayed since he died in 1987.

Where do I start? Any great resources on the web?

Thanks in advance.

-Christa

Posted on 9 years ago

This place IS THE BEST resource place you'll find. Start with some pictures of the kit. This to show the year, color and configuration of your kit. So everyone can see what you have. Then post any concerns and questions. Lots of options to clean and polish. Use the search function and read some of the threads. The W&A restoration thread in this section is a great start. John V is one of the best as are many others here. Pretty cool you have your Grandfathers drum kit!! Most of all have fun and enjoy them when your finished. Your the present caretaker!

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 9 years ago

Also under the forum header you'll see 4 sub sections. Click on those headers for a drop down menu. These are 2 good ones. Once you learn to navigate the site it'll be easy.

http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/drcjw/articles.html

http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 9 years ago

you need to get a set of clamp on spurs for the bass drum pronto. so you can properly play it with out damaging it.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 9 years ago

That's a real nice kit of drums..you are one lucky grandson.. Looks like some spurs (Legs) on the rear hoop ? They will work better on the front hoop and keep it from damage by scraping on floors.

Cheers

John

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 9 years ago

Wow, that is a nice kit. You have come to the right place for advice. The folks here are amazing and their advice and experience restoring drums is awesome. Please post photos when you can.

Posted on 9 years ago

Your grandfather really took care of that kit. It looks like it's in very good shape.

Thanks for posting pictures. Based on the badge style, it's from anywhere between 1956-1959.

Here's a link to your kit in blue sparkle from the 1959 catalog:

http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/images/slingerland_drum_sets/1959-slingerland-deluxe-ensemble.jpg

The bass drum in the link above has the newer style T handle tension rods that hold the heads onto the shell. Your bass drum has an older style rods, so it's probably older than 1959.

Does the snare drum match the rest of the kit?

Does it look like the drum in the top right of this link:

http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/images/catalogs/slingerland/1959-slingerland-snares1.jpg

Based on the front bass drum head, it looks like your grandfather liked to have the tom tom mount (rail mount) located on the top center. Traditionally, the badge is directly on the top and the rail mount is off to the side (10/11 o'clock when standing behind the drums). The tom tom is also upside down. The mute/knob thingy faces the player and the badge faces the front. Just as vintagemore200 and longjohn mentioned the spurs usually go on the front bass drum hoop and lift the drum so the chrome lugs don't hit the floor. The bass drum pedal also helps keep the shell off of the floor.

As ffr428 said there are many options to clean up the drums, which can be found by searching these forums, but never use any type of steel/brass wool on any part. It may look like an easy way to clean up the chrome, but it will damage the finish and leave micro swirl marks.

Did your grandfather buy these drums new? This configuration was the top of the line kit from Slingerland during this period. You are very lucky to have it.

Keep us posted and ask any and many questions.

-Tim

Posted on 9 years ago

Great lookin Slingy set! Your granddad took awesome care of that kit, it looks amazing. The WMP yellowed really well, real nice mellow look to it. There are plenty of amazing people on here willing to help, I just got a 50's Radio King kit and everyone was so helpful with the cleaning and background info. Good luck on it!

IN SEARCH OF:
  • 1964-1966 Rogers 9x13 rack tom in silver sparkle. Beavertail lugs, flat grey Cleveland tag interior
  • 1964-1966 Rogers 22 OR 24x14 bass drum in silver sparkle. Beavertail lugs, flat grey Cleveland tag interior
  • 1959 Rogers Holiday 5x14 snare drum in blue sparkle. Serial number #13382. Large double sided bread and butter lugs. Part of my kit that was split up before I purchased it. Bring the snare home!
Posted on 9 years ago

Beautiful! They need to belong to me, that bass drum head has my initials on it.

Do what Vintagemoore 2000 said first.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 9 years ago

Welcome to VDF!

The first thing you should do, if you haven't already, is to track down an experienced drum coach/teacher! Learn to play 'a little' it'll make the time you spend at the kit more fun and productive for you.

Your grandpa took excellent care of those drums because he loved them. You've inherited a 'professional quality' drum kit. Treat it accordingly. You don't have to do a single thing to it right now. Learn first, treat the kit with care as you go along and in a short while you'll have the knowledge and confidence you need to take the kit apart and give it a good detailing. That can wait... for now, practice every day. Get a drum pad and find a coach. Remember to treat the drums with care and respect... soon you will begin to appreciate what it is you have inherited from grandpa. There is an entire life-time of fun and music sitting there in front of you. If you're willing to do the work (lots and lots of practice) the pure joy your grandpa felt when he played those drums can be yours. You'll be able to stand in his shoes and know for yourself what it feels like to be a drummer.

Hope you stick around and learn a thing or three... lots of good people here. They will look out for you and answer any questions you may have. This is a cool little drummers community. You came to the right place. :D

Please feel free to ask questions. We'll ALL do our best to answer them for you.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here