Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Funkiest snare strainer ever?

Ok, so in this section of the forum there are lots of threads preaching the virtue of MIJ drums. This isn't one of them.

I have just started restoring a WMP Apollo snare. Familiar territory: Slingerland copy lugs, thin luan shell with re-rings, etc. The strainer, however, just makes me shake my head. I dont know if it's a copy of an early Gretsch or Slingerland design, but it's cheap looking and, even though it's incomplete, I'm guessing it wouldn't work too well even if it were. Wow, this thing makes the not too great MIJ Zoomatic knock-offs look like fine German engineering.

I'm definitely going to have to find some type of replacement strainer to get this drum up and running,

Here are the pics. The first one is the strainer on the drum (incomplete) and the next one is a pic I grabbed from an ebay auction to show the complete unit. Then front and back of the strainer, off the drum.

Posted on 14 years ago

Wow, that reminds me of an OLD Rogers throw off.......we're talking eagle badge and prior! Since these drums don't have any real value and you are trying to just make it playable anyway, why not go for one of those Gibraltar "generic" throw-offs.....sort of a Ludwig P-85 copy. They work great and they're inexpensive.

Posted on 14 years ago

Lud-dude, thanks for the comment. I'll have to keep my eye out for a pic of an old Rogers snare. That may have been the original inspiration.

Yes, I'm looking at the Gibraltar and Cannon replacement strainers. There are a few slightly different designs, but it looks like they're generally under 20 bucks or so. Good thing too, because even though I basically got this snare drum thrown in for free with the WMP Stewart set I bought a while back, it didn't come with hoops or the snare butt, either.

I'm not too crazy about having to drill holes in the shell, but for a MIJ drum, to make it playable, I dont think anyone will protest too much.

Posted on 14 years ago

I think these were made to work until you walked out of the store.Then the first time you tension it up the rivet breaks or the handle bends.It is similar to a Gretsch 50's style ,but not exact.Had one on a green/siver duco 6 lugger.I like Ludwig strainers(P 85?).Simple and well made.They even make them with key screws for the string/strap.Nice detail.

Posted on 14 years ago

I am looking mostly at P-85 types, but this Gibraltar throw might be a good choice because it might help hide the original 4 screw holes that I probably wont bother to patch up. (It doesn't really scream 'vintage' though, does it?)

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

From cn679

I am looking mostly at P-85 types, but this Gibraltar throw might be a good choice because it might help hide the original 4 screw holes that I probably wont bother to patch up. (It doesn't really scream 'vintage' though, does it?)

Well....maybe vintage Gladstone....:D

Posted on 14 years ago

From Ludwig-dude

Well....maybe vintage Gladstone....:D

Just for technical reference this is a real gladstone throwoff! the one post with the throwoff pictured is a gladstone TYPE throwoff, not a gladstone!!Keep on Pl

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

B--

GC sells a Pearl, it's a P-85 type for 20, including the butt. Very nice, it's the one I put on my Apollo and if you have some scraps of WMP, get out the hole punch. I use a couple of different pc of old scrap from resto work for the material. You could always call Sam and ask for a "sample" of the aged or vintage WMP and use that as fill material. It won't match perfectly, but it will hide the holes...find a drill bit the appropriate size, or you can snip off a small corner and sand it to round to the correct size. It will wear your fingerprints off, but then it keeps you from having to drill the holes out bigger.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

From cn679

Ok, so in this section of the forum there are lots of threads preaching the virtue of MIJ drums. This isn't one of them.I have just started restoring a WMP Apollo snare. Familiar territory: Slingerland copy lugs, thin luan shell with re-rings, etc. The strainer, however, just makes me shake my head. I dont know if it's a copy of an early Gretsch or Slingerland design, but it's cheap looking and, even though it's incomplete, I'm guessing it wouldn't work too well even if it were. Wow, this thing makes the not too great MIJ Zoomatic knock-offs look like fine German engineering.I'm definitely going to have to find some type of replacement strainer to get this drum up and running,Here are the pics. The first one is the strainer on the drum (incomplete) and the next one is a pic I grabbed from an ebay auction to show the complete unit. Then front and back of the strainer, off the drum.

Hey cn679--you should check out www.shopgoodwill.com on the site a Lyra snare drum with that same strainer...Mikey P.S. by the way i think i have the missing piece to that strainer also...

Posted on 14 years ago

From MIKEY777

Hey cn679--you should check out www.shopgoodwill.com on the site a Lyra snare drum with that same strainer...Mikey P.S. by the way i think i have the missing piece to that strainer also...

Mikey, yes, I dd see the Lyra snare. Looks like it's in good shape, and it does have the same strainer. The bids are already up to $26. I hope it goes to a good home and not someone looking to part it out.

Also, I'm sure you do have the missing piece for the strainer above, but I wouldn't want to break up a complete unit.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here