Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

From beast to beauty.......

A couple of month ago, i found an old - 1973 - Slingerlandkit in a Barn near the city of Aalborg - Denmark.

After a few chats with the Webmaster on this Site, it was clear to me that the drums had been recoated.

Actually i liked the finish they had, but after a few "risk vs. obtainable vintage value thoughts" i decided to bring them back to original condition.

In the pictures You can see them before and after restoration.

[Attachment: 2931]

Before

[Attachment: 2932]

After (The 15" is missing in the picture, but is actually the best looking of them all -- anyway i?m not using it)

The Cymbals are Paiste Colorsound 5 from 1980, and all Hardware is Tama Titan also from 1980.

Hope that You?ll have just as much fun restoring drums as i do.

Best regards

Carsten M

Posted on 16 years ago

They look great!

Ludwig-Zildjian-Aquarian
Posted on 16 years ago

Very nice looking slingys!

Posted on 16 years ago

Nice! Somehow, I always think of Slingerlands when I see a copper finish! Nice job!Chewie:

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

I always lusted after copper Slingerlands when I was a kid.

Godt g?et.

David

Posted on 16 years ago

great job. they look sweet. gotta love a barn find any day!!

Posted on 16 years ago

Thank?s guys, i?m happy You like it.

In fact I?m not all done yet; The Bearing Edges on both the Toms need to be straightend up (I`m going to practice on the extra 15" That I`m not using), and the a total re-heading ofcause --- any suggests are more than wellcome:-)

Also the BD Hoops could need replacement; It was impossible to get down to the original copper strip on them, so I just paintet it all black. And besides that, the edges on them have some serious wounds here and there (See Picture). actually I?m thinking of having some new ones made in metal ---??, and a nice crome like the Rims on the others -- Would that be blasfemi??

Yours

Carsten M

1 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

Beautiful kit!!

I don't see that as being blasphemous (or however you spell it). You will still have the original hoops and you can always keep an eye out for some original replacements.

I wouldn't practice on the 15" tom myself...especially if its also restorable. I would recommend just getting a couple of old shells that are already trashed and practice on them if you absolutely must do it yourself. Maybe better to get a pro to do it.

Anyone have thoughts here as to how a recut will affect value? Is it always a negative? This case?

Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

Beautiful kit!!I don't see that as being blasphemous (or however you spell it). You will still have the original hoops and you can always keep an eye out for some original replacements.I wouldn't practice on the 15" tom myself...especially if its also restorable. I would recommend just getting a couple of old shells that are already trashed and practice on them if you absolutely must do it yourself. Maybe better to get a pro to do it.Anyone have thoughts here as to how a recut will affect value? Is it always a negative? This case?

Thank?s Dad, good to know that you?re right behind me.

Sorry for my spelling, I usually speak and write in Danish -- also quite a complicated language.

Don?t worry, i?m not gonna do any harm to the drums, infact I already made the edges on the 15" with expectable succes -- now it?s tuneable, and lost only 0,8mm. between the highest point on the top, and the highest point on the bottom.

I?m not in any way tempted of leaving the job to any "pro" who would claim more than I payed fore the entire kit, and would take away the pleasure that it gives me, to get to the bone of the instruments that I love to play.

Please remember that we?re not talking Rocket science, actually it seems to me, that we?re not talking scince at all, but quite simple craftmenship --- that could have been done better from the beginning.

I will come up with details and pictures later, but I can already tell that without a 120 year old shipbuilding tool it wouldn?t be possible to do it the way I did.

PS. How could a welldone recut ever be negative???

Best regards

Carsten M

Posted on 16 years ago

Now we did the recut with great result --- now the drums are tuneable.

[Attachment: 3076]

This is how one of the shells looked before.

[Attachment: 3077]

Bad picture, wich is supposed to show that we placed a lamp inside the shell, to detect where we should cut.

[Attachment: 3078]

Here the higher parts are cut down.

[Attachment: 3079]

Carefull sanding.

[Attachment: 3080]

The exiting rounding of the outside ---- with a steady hand, ofcause.

To be continiued....

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here