Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Found Orphan 3-ply 22" Red Sparkle Round Badge - Now What?

I found one this evening. Now I have to finish another kit. Crap! :)

Unfortunately, it has a couple extra small holes on top and it's missing one lug, a couple T-rods and some claws. The round badge is original, the wrap is in very good condition and the hoops just need the paint touched up. Clear interrior, complete original spurs, center cymbal mount holes, Pratt muffler with good felt and it never had a rail consolette.

After looking through the catalogs and since it was never drilled for a rail mount, I would guess it might be from a One Nighter kit (snare and bass only). Someone removed the cymbal arm mount and installed a cheap tom mount.

Ideas? Find an orphan 9x13 tom and/or 16x16 floor tom? My son has a 20/12/14 SSB in Blue Glass, so I could find a 16x16 floor tom in Silver Sparkle and put together a Jelly Bean Red/White/Blue kit with the 22 bass/16 floor tom/12 tom tom.

-Tim

Posted on 11 years ago

> put together a Jelly Bean Red/White/Blue kit with the 22 bass/16 floor tom/12 mounted tom.

Now you're speakin' Deacon! Sounds like a good (read: FUN) plan!

I have a late 50's 3-ply RB kit, you won't regret a dime that you put into them, Tim. I promise you, great sounding drums!

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 11 years ago
Posted on 11 years ago

I have a 1/4" plug bit and some shell samples to make plugs. After I plug the holes, what's the best way to patch the wrap? Should I carefully remove some small pieces of wrap from under a couple of the lugs? Are there other areas on the drum that can be used for donor wrap pieces? I have some extra red sparkle wrap from an old 70's Ludwig drum, but it's not a perfect match.

What's been successful for you?

Thanks,

Tim

1 attachments
Posted on 11 years ago

I finished plugging the 5 holes and I'm very happy with the results. Since this is a player's drum, I'm not too concerned with the filler being a little visible. The main thing is the plugs were tight.

Did Gretsch put a clear on the inside of their natural shells? I had some Pecan Minwax PolyShades, which actually blended the repair area very well with the rest of the shell interior. I wasn't looking to conceal the area, just make it look presentable.

Now I need to decide how to patch the wrap.

-Tim

Posted on 11 years ago

I can send you a piece of red sparkle wrap if you want it. Just let me know through PM.

Cheers

Curtis

Posted on 11 years ago

I was able to finish up repairing the hole this weekend. Here is a picture of the repair. It passes the 3 foot rule. :)

Time to mask off and paint the hoops and clean the lugs, claws and T-rods.

-Tim

Posted on 11 years ago

Unless you're itching for an expensive project, I say just use it with some other drums, Gretsch or otherwise, and don't worry too much about putting a kit together. With such repairs, it's not always economically sensible to bust yer butt for a kit. You'll have more in it than it's worth $ wise.

That said, nice drum and great work fixing her up an bringing her back.

Aaron

Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks. It was a pretty easy fix.

I actually only have $132 in this bass right now (minus heads, Remo Fiberskyn) and that's including the purchase of the drum.

If I were to get another drum, I think a 16" red sparkle floor tom would be good choice. Having a snare, floor tom and bass with a center mounted crash/ride would be a great portable kit.

I could always use the natural Mahogany 14x6 Gretsch RB snare, 12x8 Gretsch SSB Blue Glass Glitter Tom tom, 16x16 Rogers Silver Glitter Floor Tom and the 22x14 Gretsch RB Red Sparkle Bass. :) It would be a nice patriotic jellybean kit.

-Tim

Posted on 11 years ago

I finished up the bass drum this weekend and put together a "jelly bean-ish" type kit of red, wood and blue! ;)

The 6x14 snare, 14x14 floor tom and 14x22 bass can be used as a nice small jazz kit with big sound.

-Tim

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here