Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Found a link to my drums...Yay!

I was looking for something else today and found a difinitive link to my drums' maker. In the vast sea of catalog scans, I came across, quite by accident, a catalog from La Boz. The hardware is identical to mine. O'bop, Wayne, Blake, Mikey, let's get our OCD working in sync and see if we can figger this one out. Is it Star, Pearl or Nikkan...or TEISCO...maybe...Or perhaps it is Pea-kkei-scar....?

This is the pipe tom mount, cymbal mount and floor tom leg brackets I have been looking for. There is something about the cymbal mount on this line that is so....sexy and very utilitarian at the same time, suggesting a higher end of the scale, the premium lines of the MIJ market. I am certain there are no discolorations where there may have been these stick on badges from the distributor, however they could have been removed many years ago and thus no marks were ever made. This catalog looks like it is well into the mid 60s and they were selling well under this badge. Looking at the quality of the layout suggests they were well marketed and successful. Maybe not as well known as the other badges, but still a "nicer line". This had to be a later production than mine as these are the 6 & 9 ply shells and mine are 2, 3 or 4 (thin).

Go to the General Comments section and have a listen to Sky having a run at them, they sound so much better live. I am using a still camera in video mode, an older Kodak CX6445, Dell special build from about 2001 for these videos I am doing. I think in order to get some sound loaded that will be closer to the real thing, I am going to get the bass player to bring his gear over on Sunday and make another video, this time micd up correctly. For instance, the snare really sounds cheesy in these from across the room, yet from the throne it actually sounds pretty good. I will put a different set of heads on before micing up, and that should make a huge difference, and I have to isolate the spring in the lugs as well, they are buzzing a little. Go here for a better set of pix. They won't load properly from my com puter, so go there to see how nice these knock-offs looked back then.

http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/my_collection_laboz_flyer.html

Anyway, now boys and girls, it's time to play our favorite MIJ guessing game!!! Who's the builder?!?!?!?!?!?!

1 attachments
"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Well, just a question can you email me a bigger photo?? photo is to small for my eye's..But what is see on set on the bottom of page by the bass drum pedal i would say they are made by pearl,in the 60's late pearl was making pedals like that if that's black paint on top of foot board.. Bass drum muffler yes pearl i have one,Snare drum stand is made by pearl [[i can see that ]]these stands were sold with all of the names that pearl sold in the 60s..I can't see the floor tom leg mounts at all but they almost look like copys of the 60 Ludwig club date ones they used a spring with tab.The cymbal mount rod bent like that also leads me to pearl..Pearl used these on the lower end drums that they made...Mikey

Posted on 14 years ago

John, although I would still really like to see a close up pic of one of your rack or floor tom lugs, I also think your WMP set is Pearl made.

This thread, http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=4891 shows a set that we know is an older, complete Pearl set. It has the straight legs and floor tom leg mounts that match yours and the sets in the La Boz catalogs. Has anyone ever seen a set that we knew to be Star made with these leg mounts?

I'm interested to hear what O-bop and Ralf might have to say.

Posted on 14 years ago

From cn679

John, although I would still really like to see a close up pic of one of your rack or floor tom lugs

How's this one? Enough detail?

1 attachments
"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Yes! Thanks for the pic, John. We have another drum in common, and this confirms what we were both thinking.

I have a snare drum and 13" rack tom in WMP with the name 'Jazz Master' on them. The pics below are of the rack tom. The rack tom has a pipe mount bracket on it, so I assumed it was Pearl made. However, I wasn't 100% sure because the Sling copy lugs were sort of in between the lighter weight Star Sling copys and the later Pearl Sling copy lugs with the wider gap on top (like the ones on my Tempros, for instance.)

The mounting bracket seems to be exactly the same as yours. Does the large washer and nut on the inside of the tom look similar to yours? And it has the Stick-Saver copy hoops.

The 'Jazz Master' badges on these are just foil stickers. Not pieces of alluminum or plastic. The corners are bent. It's amazing that they have stayed on these drums for this long. I'll bet your set had sticker badges just like these, could have even been the same name, and it explains why they are unmarked today with no evidence that badges had ever been on them.

To me, it's the lugs tell the stories on these drums. At this point I am back to thinking that there was more than one foundry for the metal parts. I could still be wrong, of course, but my 2 foundry theory stems from the fact that the quality of the metal cast for the lugs seems to differ between the lugs on Pearl made and Star made drums: It seems that the quality of the metal cast for the Pearl lugs was better than the quality of the Star lugs. Not to mention the slight differences in design on the outside, and inside, of the lugs. (This theory is based on my limited experience with the few examples that I own.)

Anyway, being that your floor tom has the same leg mounts as the early example red sparkle Pearl set, which are also consistent with the La Boz catalog scans, I think we have finally, and conclusively, identified the maker of your WMP set as Pearl.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here