Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

FOR SALE: 1965 Sonor Teardrop 13/16/20 drum set in Black Satin Flame

Very cool "Made in Western Germany" badged Sonor Teardrop drums, in rare black satin flame (Onyx Multi-Brilliant was the catalog name).

All German beechwood 3-ply shells with re-rings: 8" (deep) x 13" (diameter) rack tom, 15" x 16" floor tom, and 14" x 20" bass drum. These drums have a super warm and rich vintage tone, not as loud as modern 6-ply maple kits and so they are sought-after for jazz and acoustic gigs. Yet, they can get thunderously swingy as well.

The drums are within 1/16" of perfect round, if not perfect. The bearing edges are nice and clean. The bass drum resonant-side bearing edge has a one tiny spot where the re-enforcement ring looks like it might have been re-glued a while back. Barely worth mentioning, it's very solid. The floor tom batter-side bearing edge has two tiny stick marks. Other than that the sweet vintage round-over edges are basically perfect.

The drums have some tiny extra holes from wood screws... 7 in the floor tom, 1 in the rack tom, 1 in one of the rack tom hoop, and 2 in one of the bass drum hoop. With the exception of the hoop, the holes have been filled and coloured dark blue, they don't stick out at all but they are there. See photos.

The wrap has some minor scratches, like most 60's satin flame drums, but it still looks dazzling. No cracks or tears. Some corners were re-glued at the seam, and the glue discoloured the wrap a bit. It's pretty discreet, under the lugs and the hoops. I've shown the worst in the photos. There's a very small amount of wrap lift at the seam corners (1.5") under the bass drum, but the edge is still glued on tight so it doesn't get in the way, and it's under the bass drum, so invisible.

The chrome is in great shape for the age. A few scuffs on the lugs, some very mild pitting on one of the rack tom hoop, but other than that it's pretty clean. Very shiny over all.

The drums come with all the original Sonor teardrop hoops and slotted tension rods. One of the tension rods is not 100% straight but still very functional. The tom arm and bass drum mounted cymbal arm are missing. The rack tom fits well in a snare stand, I have a few spare snare stands if you need one. The floor tom legs and bass drum spurs are nice accurate reproduction parts. The bass drum spur rubber feet and washer are original.

The drums come fitted with a brand new set of Aquarian Modern Vintage heads, with the exception of the bass drum resonant heads which is an Evans EQ3. These Aquarian heads sound awesome for a full vintage vibe, but if you're going to replace them with your heads of choice anyway then I will keep them and take $100 off the price.

Here's your chance to own this amazing vintage kit full of mojo.

$990usd

Pick up only, in Vancouver BC.

More photos on Reverb:

https://reverb.com/item/17796473-1965-sonor-teardrop-13-16-20-drum-set-in-black-satin-flame

1 attachments
Posted on 5 years ago

I never knew I needed a set of Sonors till now. Very striking and even the "imperfections" just add to the character. I'm sure someone in driving distance to BC will score them and be quite happy. Best of luck with the sale!

-murph

"Hitting stuff with sticks since 1963"
Posted on 5 years ago

This drum is SOLD!

Posted on 5 years ago
Action Another action Something else here