Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

For 60's Gretsch WMP wrap crack

Unfortunately, a per-serial 60's Gretsch 4157 started wrap cracks.

Other than 2 spiders on the wrap, the snare condition is really nice.

The spiders ruin its beauty knock me out...

I used a glue and nail polish to prevent further cracks.

So, I have two questions. Help2

#1 Glue/nail polish is enough for the further wrap cracks???

Moreover, are there any good products? I just used a common product.

#2 If possible, I'd like to do inconspicuous these spiders.

Any good ideas???

[IMG]http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff449/createpop55/60sGretsch4157-1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff449/createpop55/60sGretsch4157-2.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 12 years ago

Are the cracks on the seem the only ones?

Can you carefully pry up the rest of the seem without breaking the wrap or making the cracks longer?

I've repaired lifting and cracking seems by removing the heads/rims and any necessary hardware, then CAREFULLY lifting the rest of the seem back far enough to put a strip of the double-faced tape (like used on "taped" wrap jobs) and then clamping the seem down and leaving it for 24 hours or so...

Bill

BTW -- nice looking drum... and I'd bet most would never know those cracks are there!

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks, Bill!!

2 horizontal spiders on the seem around center. One is long, the other is short.

Pry up? I've never tried it. I'm not sure whether I can do it. I'm completely ignorant of resto.

You mean I should peal off the seem by using something like a cutter? Then, clamp it tightly? Well, it seems hard work for me without experience. Probably, I may make it worse than present.

So, should I bring it to the drum shop if I seek perfectly?

In my area, there is Steve Maxwell and Main Drug Music store.

Posted on 12 years ago

They no doubt could fix you up. Don't have a clue what they might charge though.

No cutting involved -- just peeling up the seem. Sometimes the wrap is "plyable (sp?)" enough to do that BUT sometimes it's too brittle. And sometimes the seem is glued down so well it won't peel back.

I've got some repairing and clamping to do. I could take step-by-step pictures and post them. Problem is I've got so many projects to do right now (only on my own stuff I repair/restore for sale, I rarely do work for others) I'm quite honestly a little "overwhelmed," so I don't know how soon I could do that.

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 12 years ago

From billnvick

They no doubt could fix you up. Don't have a clue what they might charge though.

Yeah, me, neither. But, I guess $30-50 bucks?

At last time, repairing re-ring service was $35-40 at Maxwell.

However, I have a little bit of doubt they can superbly fix up after looking at the work. But, If I have time, I'll ask them.

From billnvick

No cutting involved -- just peeling up the seem. Sometimes the wrap is "plyable (sp?)" enough to do that BUT sometimes it's too brittle. And sometimes the seem is glued down so well it won't peel back.

Peel up the seem? I don't take rims apart, so I don't know it at present whether I can peel up. Looks intact. Yeah, I also feel it is brittle and it won't peel back.

From billnvick

I've got some repairing and clamping to do. I could take step-by-step pictures and post them. Problem is I've got so many projects to do right now (only on my own stuff I repair/restore for sale, I rarely do work for others) I'm quite honestly a little "overwhelmed," so I don't know how soon I could do that.

Thanks for your cooperation! :)

When you are free and if upload the pics, I appreciate.

I have time.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here