Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Float Paint off Gold Plating - Help

I have a Gretsch drum - Cadillac Green - that has gold hardware and someone has painted - gold paint - over all the hardware.

I won the drum on eBay - FedEx delivered it yesterday.

Upon first inspection I thought the paint was covering chrome. I was a little disappointed because the seller said there was not chrome to be seen under the paint. But in fairness he did say he did not think the hardware was gold plated.

I took the drum to a local J.ewler/Goldsmith and he very carefully scrapped some paint away where the paint was pealing off a lug. He said it does look like Gold Plating under the paint. That was his professional opinion and I was very happy with that.

HELP!

I want to remove the gold paint but I do NOT want to disturbe any of the remaining gold plating. I thought I'd start here for some ideas.

The goldsmith advised me to not use harsh chemical paint removers.

Thoughts??

Posted on 12 years ago

You might try Silicon or Petrol based Lubricant on a small portion & see what the results are. Theory being, the lubricant will get between the paint & plating, I would try the Silicon first because of it's preservative qualities on metals. This is just a shot-in-the-dark on my part, I suggested it because I've seen the results it has had in the cleaning process of old gunked up hardware...but like I said, try it on a small area & see what happens. There are also very mild abrasives (plastic/rubber/soda) that are used in high pressure blast cabinets, but be careful, gold is VERY SOFT. I would talk to a pro before attempting this.

Good Luck & show us some pics! Yes Sir

Dan

"Play the drum...don't let it play you" - Max Roach

1968, 1974 & 1984 Rogers Dyna•Sonic COB
1971, 1976 Slingerland GK Sound King
1973 Slingerland Festival
1920's-40's Slingerland (US Military) Field Snares (6)
19?- Ludwig Field Snare (US Marines)
1960's Premier Gold Glitter Student Snare kit
1960's-? MIJ Snares (way-way too many)
Posted on 12 years ago

Here are some photos - the drum as I received it.

That mute knob looks like chrome under the paint but the j.ewler said it's shiny worn gold plating.........hmmmm.

Posted on 12 years ago

The shell cleaned up nice but there are some rub marks - damage - here and there. I wonder where this drum has been - it would be good to know the history.

Posted on 12 years ago

Wow! that is awesome! Gary if your ole gretsch tom could talk, In a way it is by the condition of the shell and such!

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 12 years ago

Ya Mark - It'd be interesting to know.........especially the part where someone decided to paint the frigin hardware. It may have been a nice paint job at first - but why not just save up and get it re-plated gold??

Don't get me wrong here - I am very happy with the drum. Regarding the high bidding on eBay - that was mostly because (on my part anyway) there was a good chance this was a Cadi Green with gold hardware. The drum is nice enough without the gold hardware but I probably would not have bid $535 if the seller said absolutely without a doubt it is NOT gold plated hardware. But having said that, I did at one time in my conversations either on the Forum here or in the back-and-forth with the seller say I'm happy to have paid the money for this drum gold or not. That was said in the heat and excitment of the deal and I have to live with that (in case the j.ewler-guy may have been wrong in his expert opinion). Like I always say 'it's only money.' I do however think I did get a nice piece of Gretsch drum history - pretty sure it's the real deal Cadi Green tom and it will be very happy sitting in now and then with my late 50's Gretsch kit.

A nice Christmas presant for myself this year

Posted on 12 years ago

Been searching on the Web regarding paint removal from gold plating.

So far the best suggestion has been to use Acetone - wrapping the parts in soft cloth soaked in Acetone. You have to work fast because the Acetone evaporates fast but do not use scraping tools. Just rub it off when it softens. The advice is the gold plating should be okay.

I may try this on the inside of one of the lugs. If it works I may go for it. Acetone is NASTY stuff - gotta wear good rubber gloves.

Posted on 12 years ago

The badge looks normal,...why did they not plate that ? I think it looks normal !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 12 years ago

What`s the inside of the lugs look like ?

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 12 years ago

From Kona

Been searching on the Web regarding paint removal from gold plating.So far the best suggestion has been to use Acetone - wrapping the parts in soft cloth soaked in Acetone. You have to work fast because the Acetone evaporates fast but do not use scraping tools. Just rub it off when it softens. The advice is the gold plating should be okay.I may try this on the inside of one of the lugs. If it works I may go for it. Acetone is NASTY stuff - gotta wear good rubber gloves.

Man, I think I would hit up Mike Curotto for his take on the situation if you haven't already?

Congrats, she's a beauty, Kona!!

Kev

Kevin
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here