Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.85804%

Flat Jack problem

I have a Flat Jack snare drum 14 x 12 and can't seem to keep the snare wires engaged. The strainer keeps flipping to the off-position. It seems such a simple system but I can't seem to figure out the fix. Any ideas??

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]can you post a pic of the throwoff ?[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Dan,

I too have a Flat Jack snare drum. From my experience, the two most common causes of the throw-off disengaging are:

1. Insufficient tension on the snares. The throw-off is held in place by pulling fully tensioned snares past a fulcrum point. Once the throw-off arm passes the fulcrum point, the tension of the snares holds the throw-off in place.

2. Bad positioning of the inside ring. The throw-off is mounted to a ring which is smaller in diameter than the drum shell. Before the drum lugs are tensioned to hold this ring in place, this ring can be turned to any position relative to the drum shell. Around the inside of the drum shell are nuts which hold the lugs in place. Check to be sure that the throw-off is not positioned too close to one of these nuts such that the nut is interfering with the throw-off moving to the full on position.

I hope that helps. I'd love to know more about your drum. Do you have the full set or only the snare? Do you have any literature or historical information about the Flat Jack that you could copy and share? I have the snare and the bass drum but do not have either of the toms. Nor do I have any of the hardware (spurs, accessory frame, etc) to set up the bass drum or to mount toms. I'm looking for a solution as to how to set up the bass drum with spurs without having to drill the shell.

Good luck with your drum.

Larry

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here