Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Fixing Shell Cracks?

What's the best way to fix a bad crack in an old MIJ shell? The set I bought a couple weeks ago has a really bad crack in the BD shell.

Posted on 5 years ago

How deep is the crack ?

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 5 years ago

With a sharpie!

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 5 years ago

From OddBall

How deep is the crack ?

I'm not sure, but it looks fairly deep. I was thinking of using a wood filler, but I was hoping that someone here with some experience could offer some assistance. I see I'm not getting much help. Hmmmm

Posted on 5 years ago

From DrumBob

I'm not sure, but it looks fairly deep. I was thinking of using a wood filler, but I was hoping that someone here with some experience could offer some assistance. I see I'm not getting much help. Hmmmm

Show me a pic so I can help you.

If it's a deep crack it will need to be filled. It will show, and never be hidden. Simply saying it's a deep crack will get you ....fill it, sand it, live with the scar. If it's from a pillow, there will be rot involved, mold involved and those need to be dealt with first. If it got dropped and cracked, you can squeeze it together and minimize scar. Does it go edge to edge ?

We kinda need to see it.

Posted on 5 years ago

Sorry, thought the Sharpe comment would make you laugh, weren't,you the one fixing sparkle wrap with a sharpie pen with great results? I was not making fun of it just thought it was funny, apparently I'm the only one who thinks that. I've been waiting for some response.

A picture of the cracked drum would really be helpful, I would be glad to offer a serious response if I knew more about it.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 5 years ago

I know you were kidding, and yes, I was coloring in faded red sparkle wrap with a Sharpie (which worked nicely). I'm going to take the head off the drum and photograph the crack tonight and post it. I bought a tube of Plastic Wood yesterday at the hardware store. The store owner thought that might be the best fix, but he has no experience with drum shells.

I've decided to make this MIJ set a project and clean up some of the inconsistencies-which are few, BTW. Eventually, the drums will go to Precision Drum for bearing edges and possibly lacquering of the shell interiors.

Posted on 5 years ago

Hey, DrumBob,

If you are going to use Plastic Wood, you might want to try Minwax Woodfiller with Hardener instead. It's more expensive BUT, of a much better quality. When dry, it requires a bit of effort to even sand it smooth. Many furniture restorers also use this product with excellent results. Hope this helps. Personally, I liked your post about the Sharpie. You seem like the kind of guy who "thinks outside the box"! Good luck, sir!

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 5 years ago

I agree with Salty,...tube mixed is in a big batch and inconsistent, go a pro route with quality fillers. you also want your filler to except that stain you plan on. Spread anything you use with the thinnest credit card you got, it'll save on sanding and sanding markings.

Show close and a distance in the pics.

Posted on 5 years ago

As soon as I can take a photo, I'll post it. Thanks.

Posted on 5 years ago
Action Another action Something else here