Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Fixing a tear

I have an original RB Gretsch plastic logo head that has a small tear near the collar--maybe a 1/2" long. The head seats fine, but it's always bothered me. Is there a way to repair this? I know with calf sometimes guys will glue a tear--any tricks of the trade with plastic?

Thanksl

Posted on 7 years ago

I've had some vintage snares that were all original including heads...but one head might have a inch tear. I have used simple clear scotch tape on the tear. Have never had one split any further after doing it. Usually put it on both sides of the head.

Posted on 7 years ago

I have some clear packing tape lying around--that might work. I was expecting recommendations for some strange products--it's good to know basic household items can still save the day.

Posted on 7 years ago

All of the above are great ideas, but they may not hold over time if your using the drum a lot. If you go to the hardware or craft store, look for Mylar tape. It is extremely strong, heat resistant but unfortunately not too elastic.

Michael

No Guru - I just love collecting & learning about vintage drums!

Some of my favorites from the kits in the collection
58 WFL New Yorker Blue Sparkle
67 Ludwig Hollywood Red Psychedelic
69 Ludwig Standard Red Ruby Strata
70's Ludwig BOP "Ringo" Kit

A few of my favorite snares
20's Leedy Black Elite
51 Leedy & Ludwig Knob Tension
58 WFL Buddy Rich Classic Blue Sparkle
63 Walberg & Auge Sea Blue Agave Green Pearl
66 Leedy Shelly Manne Blue Agate Pearl
Posted on 7 years ago

Thanks for the additional recommendation! I uploaded a photo that might affect what solution you all think is best. It's not too large, and it seats fine and tunes up great. Though I have no intention of changing/moving this head (potentially ever), I do want to protect the tear from spreading. Because the tear falls over the edge of the bearing edge, I am concerned it could spread over time.

1 attachments
Posted on 7 years ago

Thanks p-man, the photo helps.

Given where it is and the size, I would recommend going the Mylar tape route. However you could also use a very small dab of 2-part marine epoxy (HD sells it and it is white) on the bottom then place a small piece of tape onto it. The marine epoxy is a little more malleable than others and bonds really well to plastics.

Make sure it is spread out evenly so there is no bump, and just don't press too hard so it squirts out the top side. Will dry hard in about 3 hours but I would give it 24 for a full cure.

Michael

No Guru - I just love collecting & learning about vintage drums!

Some of my favorites from the kits in the collection
58 WFL New Yorker Blue Sparkle
67 Ludwig Hollywood Red Psychedelic
69 Ludwig Standard Red Ruby Strata
70's Ludwig BOP "Ringo" Kit

A few of my favorite snares
20's Leedy Black Elite
51 Leedy & Ludwig Knob Tension
58 WFL Buddy Rich Classic Blue Sparkle
63 Walberg & Auge Sea Blue Agave Green Pearl
66 Leedy Shelly Manne Blue Agate Pearl
Posted on 7 years ago