Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

First Snare Restoration

I have a vintage snare it is simmilar to the Leedy Nifty only with tube lugs. Several of the lugs are rusted and some of the tension rods have been broken off inside the lugs. I have been unsuccessful in my attempts to remove the broken rods and am contemplating purchasing new lugs. I am wanting recommendations as to whether I should try to find old tube lugs to replace these or if I should just purchase new ones and replace the old lugs.

Posted on 12 years ago

Welcome to VDF!

A few photos will be helpful. Check out this video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFeqZ_eRgSI[/ame]

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago

Have you tried drilling a hole in the center of the broken tension rods and using an "Easy-Out" to remove it?

Regarding the lugs, if they can't be cleaned up to your satisfaction then the most desirable would be to replace them with old period correct lugs, otherwise new reproductions are available.

Gary G.
1963 Ludwig Gold Sparkle Hollywood Kit
Ludwig Collection: 10 Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Customized Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Vintage Foot Pedals, 1 Single Value Bugle
Posted on 12 years ago

Great news it was not a broken tension rod but a wad of grease! I couldn't post pics because I didn't own it yet. Now it is home and completely disassembled so I can polish everything up and reassemble it. It only needs a three clips to hold on the single flange hoop and one tension rod so it will be far less work than I had anticipated. It is a COB/NOB, not sure how to tell the difference, Lyon and Healy 4x15 snare. I will start a separate thread, with pics, to document the restore.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here