Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.06472%

First rewrap: progress so far.

Hey folks. This is in regards to some 6-ply b/o ludwig shells I picked up, you can read about em here: http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=22076

I decided to start with the 16x24 kick drum. After removing the hardware, I used an old drill bit to shave down and remove the grommet, and used a heat gun to get the badge off.

I used a heat gun and putty knife to remove the old wrap, and then used xylene, some rags, and a scaper to get all the glue and adhesive off.

So far, I've taken a quick once over with an orbital sander to get any glue I may have missed.

The pictures show where am at right now.

Before I continue, there's a few question I have:

It's pretty clear someone has rewrapped this before, and did a pretty interesting sand job. You can see in one of the pictures there are 3 dark spots where they sanded down pretty much down to the next ply. They also did some weird sanding on the scarf joint. Unrelated, there happens to be one or two very slight and small dings to the shell.

My question is this: How round and even does the shell need to be for rewrapping? Because of the previous sanding job, there are a few "hump" areas I can feel when running my hand along it. Is this something I should try to patch with wood filler or epoxy, and then try to even out the contour with sanding? I'm assuming that with any dings I should be filling and sanding them down.

Any advice would be great! Thanks!

Posted on 13 years ago

Be careful with electric sanders they can dig a hole before you know it. I like using one of those 3M sanding blocks that hold the sandpaper at each end, like the auto body guys use. Its hard to dig a hole sanding by hand. As far as the humps, bumps or holes yo need to fix them. Treat it like you were prepping a 65 Mustang. I wrap drums with wood veneers and I can tell you that if there is anything under it, it can show. Nothing worse than going thru all that prep work and seeing some inperfection and wishing you would have taken more time. I would suggest using Durhams Rock Hard water putty. Mix it it up apply and sand it, with the block hand sander.

Good luck to ya! Have fun!

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks for the reply, jc!

Another question related to that, perhaps you might know:

I've read a few threads that mention using Bondo and Epoxy in addition to the putty. Any significant difference in why you would use one over the other?

Posted on 13 years ago

Well I am pretty new at drum wrapping but have been working with wood forever. I would think either will work fine as long as the adhesive that you use will adhere to the filler. I mentioned the rock hard putty because its easy, just add water and seems like pretty good stuff. I dont use it in my everyday cabinet building. We need it once in a while to fill in some cracks or voids in the paint grade cabinets.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here