Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

First Post - Help With Set ID

Hello, new here, I have played guitar for over 20 years and now my son has been interested in playing drums, so we got him a used set. Problem is I really can't tell what we have except for the snare as I bought that new, and the floor tom which has the Pearl tags still on it. The rest is the mystery as their are no more tags. All the hardware (bass drum tom mounts and legs, seperate tom stand) is Tama and clearly marked in that way, but in looking at the Tama vintage info, can not really find a match. It looks like on the inside of the shells it is the old bare Luan wood of around 8 ply, no Zola Coat, except for the 10" tom. None of them have re-rings. The 10" also has a different lug than the rest so may be a completely different brand or type than the rest but the wrap appears to be the same, which seems to be a translucent red over a metallic film. Just would like to know if it is a cheapo no name set that had Tama hardware added to it, or if it is really a Tama set. Thanks!

5 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]It's a 70's era Pearl...the lugs and the bare luan shells are a giveaway. Someone switched out the original hardware for Tama hardware. You are correct, the other rack tom is not the same and isn't original to the kit....

It may have been badged Pearl...or it may have been badged something else, since Pearl made a lot of sets under "stencil" names...although, by the time they were using those particular lugs, they had discontinued a lot of their stencil names.

[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. After hearing your reply, I did some further investigating and my guess is that they appear to be mid to late 70's Pearl "W" series or Maxwin drums by Pearl with the hardware replaced with Tama stuff. So nothing spectacular, but good for my 6 year old to learn on for some time.

Posted on 15 years ago

The 10" tom looks like a CB700 from the 80's...another stencil kit. Not much value to it I'm afraid.....

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here